wait

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello
I have a question why I have waited so long in the uncertainty for the oncologist's decision
Is it normal, wait so long
I have prostate cancer
In 2017, I had a surgery
So I had an appointment for radiation therapy in July this year
After a few days, I met with the oncologist who informed me that I have metastases to the hip bones and they need to do a pet to see if I have other metastases
two weeks ago I did blood and I don't know what the result is
Since July I have been under stress what with me, reading your forum I am even more worried I have a son to raise and it gives me faith that it will be fine
On October 14, I have an appointment with an oncologist
Is it normal to wait this long? Apart from urinary problems and fatigue, I don't have any major symptoms, but this waiting in suspense is unbearable
Day after day I kill myself with my thoughts. I know it's still 3 weeks until the meeting with the oncologist, but my patience is running out, it is the worst period of my life. It bothers me when I look at my 13-year-old son, I am asking for these 5 years to live my son until 18 years old. I know, let it be the worst diagnosis, but we always know what to do next, what else we can do And not uncertainty
greetings

• Hi W,  sorry to hear of your mental anguish, u have waited a long time, Covid probably hasn't helped.

Just a couple of questions,  u talked about Radiotherapy, have u had that yet?  Have u had the PET scan yet to determine  if there r further mets?

Psa, Gleeson figures would also be useful. Presume u r on hormone therapy?

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I was supposed to have ratio-therapies but stopped
    I'm waiting for a pet

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember
    Why don't they do PET scans
    HAS SOMEONE WAITING SO LONG ???
  • Unfortunately this Covid seems to have put a lot of cancer treatments on hold, unacceptable, I know.

How did they know about the original mets, was it a result of Mri scan?

Have u been pushing for the PET over the past weeks?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

when they prepared me for radiotherapy, they noticed that I had metastases and therefore stopped the radiotherapy

• FormerMember

I am waiting patiently, I thought that when I donated blood, they would be interested in me

• sorry to hear your story, things really are tough at the moment. What prompted the radiotherapy three years after surgery.  As stated psa levels and doubling time would be beneficial. I assume you’re on hormone therapy? The normal standard treatment for metastasis is chemotherapy, this obviously brings on a whole load of risks in this climate. 

My assumption is that post surgery your psa was below 0.1 and has just raised this year, I also assume you hadn’t been on hormone therapy until the mets were confirmed. In this case hormone treatment can hold things at bay until risks around corona reduce. I had chemotherapy from sept to jan. once every three weeks for six cycles, the affects last a lot longer than the 18 weeks, It’s hard to actually tell but it’s only the last couple of months that things have settled for me, so close to 12 months, hard to tell if normal. 

one thing in common is that the battle without thoughts are a big part of our journey.  I’ve been reading a book recently Mark Manson “The subtle art of not given a f*ck”. It’s really talks about learning to gauge what matters cares and not to dwell and on the unimportant, of things that cannot be changed. 

Ive been told that modern treatment can give us 10’s of years.

stolen from another member

”yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, today a gift”

on initial diagnosis of metastasis I worried about the future, who will look out for my daughter who has significant extra needs, how will my other two children cope, over time I’m learning to let go, put things in place and enjoy today

My thoughts are with you John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to YoungMan

I am glad that you have such positive thinking
    It will definitely change when I find out what is with me
    I don't have hormone therapy
    Waiting for a diagnosis and treatment is perhaps the worst
    I'll try to call them from Monday
    I am also of good cheer because I have to live for my son and my other children
    My wife left me with my son and this is the motivation that we will give advice with my son, because I have to live for him. For sure, I will think positively like you do.
    when I find out what's wrong with me

• FormerMember

I'm sorry but my english is not good
    I am from Poland and therefore have communication problems