Swollen leg - cause as yet unknown, but I have my suspicions

• 4 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hello,

I had a robotic prostatectomy last December which included removal of some lymph nodes in the pelvis area. As cancer was found in one of the lymph nodes I am now having six months of hormone therapy (I'm in month five) and six weeks of radiotherapy (I'm in week four).

A few weeks ago I started noticing swelling in my right ankle, which has now spread up my leg. I wasn't too bothered at first as I thought it might be a side-effect of the hormone therapy. However when I mentioned it to the radiography coordinator supervising my treatment she thought I should speak to my GP.

My GP referred me to an acute treatment clinic at the local hospital (not the hospital where I am having my daily radiotherapy) where they took a blood test, and did an ultrasound scan of my leg. The doctor at the clinic said the scan hadn't shown anything, but as I was an at-risk patient for blood clots because of my prostate cancer, I have been invited for a second scan next week in case they missed something.

When I got home I consulted "Dr Internet" (as one does) and I have found mention of a condition called Lymphoedema, which is described as swelling in an arm or leg following removal of lymph nodes during cancer surgery. That seems to describe my case. There doesn't appear to be any curative treatment, though there are various management strategies.

Does anyone have any experience of anything similar?

Best wishes

AngusP

• . I had swollen ankles, my go prescribed diuretics and things improved 

• Hi AngusP

I too had swollen legs during my cancer treatment and it was thought that it may be Lymphoedema as I have cancer in my Lymph nodes.

I was referred to the Lymphoedema clinic at my local hospital and they said it was water retention which I am pleased to say dissipated after a few months. I would suggest that you request a referral to your local clinic as an early diagnosis can put your mind at ease.

Good luck,

Andy100

• In case anyone is following this, I was referred to an acute care clinic where they did an ultrasound (doppler) scan of my leg to make sure there was no evidence of deep vein thrombosis, and I have now been referred to a Lymphoedema clinic.

• Hi Angus

My girlfriend had pelvic surgery 10 years ago and had some lymph nodes removed.

This caused lymphoedema but in a mild form but her leg does get swollen sometimes, it only affects one leg.

Using a compression stocking some days does help and  I also help with extra leg message to help move the lymph fluid around.

Regards

Steve