Getting over Prostate surgery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 107 subscribers

Hi,properly a daft question but roughly how long does it take to stop using the pads with leaking all the time .Had the prostate out 4 weeks ago .

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Tiger

The answer to your query is approximately same as the answer to  the old question "how long is a piece of string"!

I had mine removed nine weeks ago and am still using a lot of pads. It is improving slightly and most nights I am almost dry but there is no set time for recovery from this. The exercises do help so keep up with those. I have spoken to various guys in similar position and their experience varies from a couple of weeks to almost 12 months.

Have you spoken with your Urology Nurses - mine seem to be pretty clued up and can give moral support and advice.

Good luck

Alan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks Alan ,since talking to the Macmillan nurse and my Urology nurse has got back to me feeling a lot better .

Hope you get better soon.

• FormerMember

Glad to hear that - let's hope we both get better soon!

I have good days and not so good days but just tell myself that both are better than the alternative if the G5 cancer they found after the op (not id'd before) had taken hold!

Stay safe

Alan

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi took me 11 months to be pad free pelvic exercise a must good luck with it all 

• FormerMember

Thanks Chippy ,you say it took 11 months but did it ease with being wet all the time after a few months. Being in the trade just a bit worried what it will be like when I go back to work,I think I am doing the pelvic exercise right ,but doing the exercise and trying to breathe at the same time is going to take practise all this miulti tasking!!!!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

The same experience.Had a prostate surgery 4 weeks ago ,and I'm still leaking in pads. Apart from nights. They are completely dry.

Try to develop Kegel''s muscles but feel slightly pain in my pelvic and bones 

Best wishes 

• FormerMember

Hi tiger after 3 months I went back on site thought I had quite a good control of incontinence, not a chance  went to see my phisio nurse said I went back to early big set back are you seeing a phisio at hospital they do a good job ,they help you get pelvic floor much stronger.hope all goes well for you 

• FormerMember

Keep up pelvic exercises  you will have pain good luck 

• FormerMember

Thanks Paul , dry at night but yeah leaking during the day .Doing the kegel's don't seem to be doing much but i'll keep doing them.

Think it's going to take a while

All the best

• FormerMember

Hi Chippy 63,That's whats worrying me as probably like a lot of trades not worked since March ,not seeing a phisio have not even be offered to see one ,think I am doing them right have watched a phisio on youtube , but will phone my doctor's surgery tomorrow to see if i can see one.Hope you get sorted soon.