Post-surgery continence

• 3 replies
  • 109 subscribers

Hello.  I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance.....

I'm due to have prostate surgery in 4 weeks. Soon after surgery how have people coped through the night - what have you done or worn, how well does it work etc.? And after a while if you get some control back, what has your experience been of what to do through the night then? Thanks.

I guess I have similar questions for daytime - what have you worn, how effective has it/they been, both in the early days and later?

I appreciate any help people feel they can give, to help me know what to expect and to make sure I have the right things available when I need them!  (I live in a little village and will be cut off from shops for the 6 weeks no-driving post-op so need to get whatever I'll need bought in in advance).  Thanks everyone.

• Loose trousers a must. For when catheter is in. Trousers with zip off legs were good. Jogging bottoms also good

I had flask by my side to ensure I drank enough, also glass bottle n the fridge water tastes nicer cold and again measure liquid intake. Since catheter no issues about having to get up for loo

i did ensure I walked (not far) each day, as much getting out and not being in same position too long as anything

Easy food, I found instant noodles quick and easy ( not best to have every day though). Freezer food

medication for constipation movocol check with nurse nothing too violent though, pain killer an anaesthetic slows down system. You don’t want to strain

i placed night bag in Carrier bag then old washing up bowl. Bag handy for carrying around

start pelvic floor now

tena man light ones were sufficient for me, online they do send samples.  Tena were more comfortable than others although hospital ones good enough initially 

tight fitting underwear

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi I wear attends supply is delivered every month free on nhs I wear same one's day and night, change when needed of course. Do your pelvic floor exercises now good luck with it all

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My nhs area provide Tena but I’ve been getting supply from Amazon as they supply a lighter weight closer fitting Tena.

buy in bulk so you don’t worry about running out.