CT to be done midway through radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 108 subscribers

Hi

My dad is currently 3 weeks into 8 weeks of radiotherapy. Has prostate cancer that is in pelvis lymph node. Gleason 9. He was told today that he is having a ct scan done on Tuesday. My dad didnt ask any questions. But obviously this isnt the norm I would think. I thought a scan might be after radiotherapy was finished. Thanks x

• Hi Kerry

They can use a CT scan as a diagnostic tool or in planning for Radiotherapy, not sure why they would start it 3 weeks into the Radiotherapy though.

Could be worth asking the question, why r they doing one, maybe nothing to worry about.

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi Steve 

Thanks for your reply. My mom rang on Friday evening. The gold makers he had done a few weeks back. They are not seeing them so they just want to make sure the radiation is hitting the area it need to. Phew we were in a bit of a panic for a while but thankfully nothing to worry about.

• As u  say Kerry, Phew,

Hope that things go well with the remaining RT

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Grundo

Hi,

I had radiation in Lukes Dublin earlier this year for exactly the same cancer and Gleason as your Dad and they did a CT first every day for the first 2 weeks before radiation and then every week after that until it finished. They're just making sure that they're hitting the tumours.

Regards

John 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I started my radiotherapy for a very similar cancer yesterday and they explained that the machine does a scan first to check everything "is lined up", then they give you the treatment.

I didn't get seeds - I have three very attractive blue dots.... my first tattoos at 56... whatever next a nose ring Grinning

Hope all goes well.

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I've got a tattoo in an intimate area of  my body so can't show it off. Mind you a blue dot isn't very exciting. Hope all goes well I'm in a similar position as you.

• I had the seeds and just one little dot - my first tat at 73.  Can hardly see it really.  a few friends have joked that they want the gold seeds taken out before cremation - which I hope will be a long time ahead.