Starting chemo

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi I had a whipple operation in December and start 6 months of chemo next week. Just wondering what my side effects might be like? 

• Hi Giveusaclue

Good to hear from you

I had a whipples in april last year and had 6 months of folfirinox chemo from may to November

people will react in different ways to chemo and I am sure the doctors/nurses will run through possible side effects. you will also be given loads of information but I cannot stress too much that during the chemo if there is anything you are not happy about ring the triage number , I can assure you nothing will be too much trouble

Hope all goes well and please get in touch if you need to.

best wishes

Kevin

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to kevatvinegarhill

Hi Kevin

Thanks so much for your advice I am a bit of a nitemare asking for help but realise I need to do this!!

how have you been since finishing chemo

joanne

• Hi Joanne

Ask away whenever you like. That is what this forum is all about

the whole chemo experience was less of a trial than I imagined. the oncology team were absolutely brilliant and going along every 2 weeks felt like being a part of a family. in a funny sort of way I miss them

towards the end of the chemo I got 2 infections which were easily dealt with by antibiotics. the doctors were not alarmed as by the end of the whole cycle your natural resistance can be low.

what has been a pleasant surprise is how quickly I have got back to 'normal' in as much as my appetite is excellent and I have begun to put on some of the weight I lost when my taste for food was poor. all in all I am feeling pretty good although it will take time to get back to full strength

when I saw my consultant in December she said she didn't want to see me for a year so for me the chemo appears to have done its job

Kevin

• Hi Giveusaclue

I would just like to echo what Kevin says about phoning the helpline if you encounter anything whilst on chemo. They will help.

Kevin is a great example of recovery after the Whipple.

I hope your chemo goes well.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Joanne

I've had folfirinox and folfox over the past 4 years.  As already said we all react differently.  For me the fatigue around days 4-6 after chemo day were the worst.  Otherwise just annoying things like food not tasting good, no problem with nausea; theres something available to mitigate most side effects and I've mostly  kept working full time.  Steroid give me a few sleepless nights.  And sensitivity to cold in hands, feet and throat- Top tip to take a flask of hot drink with you for when you're awake! Wishing you the very best of luck with the chemo and keep positive.  Its really not that bad xxx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My husband's main side effect so far having been having chem since Jan, is that on day 3 he burps all day! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi

Thanks it’s just the unknown but thank you

joanne

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi

Thanks very much good to know this information 

thanks for your help