Help

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 24 subscribers

My mum has just been diagnosed last night with pancreatic cancer, it is in its very early stages and has been told that full removal of the pancreas is needed asap. My mum is my world and im so worried. What are supporters/ peoples experiences of having this procedure done and what should i expect post op. thank u 

• Hi my partner had a whipples operation last November, they did a partial removal of pancreas.  I have to say the operation although a major one was a lot less traumatic than I had anticipated. Admittedly, I wasn't the one going through it but his recovery was fast and without problems. Hopefully it will be the same for your mum, sending you all good wishes, x

Love is eternal
  • Hi my partner had a whipples operation last November, they did a partial removal of pancreas.  I have to say the operation although a major one was a lot less traumatic than I had anticipated. Admittedly, I wasn't the one going through it but his recovery was fast and without problems. Hopefully it will be the same for your mum, sending you all good wishes, x

Love is eternal
  • Hi Nevster

sorry to hear your news. Needing friends has given you helpful advice on her partner’s experience and hopefully it will be just as good for your Mum.

On practical matters your Mum will need to take Creon with meals which is a digestive enzyme. If she is not already diabetic she may become so. Recovery from a Whipple takes eight to ten weeks.

When you first go to visit her after the surgery be prepared for wires and monitors everywhere. They are gradually removed.

You will find information on this website and on Pancreatic Cancer UK on what a Whipple entails.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Thank you Needing friends, I know everyones experience is so different but its reassuring to hear this. Thank you for taking your time to reply. How is your partner now? x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Thank you for your reply, mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last month but gather if complete removal of her pancreas she will need to inject. she should be a pro at that as i have type 1 since I 4 (now 36) and she use to monitor etc it until I was a teen. 

I 5hink its the surgery I am most worried about it sounds very tough.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me x 

• Hi Nevster, as others have said and I am sure you know it is a big operation but as long as you are prepared for the lines and wires then you should both be starting on the right foot.. The apparatus dissappears fairly quickly and he had relatively little pain. They get you out of bed in a couple of days, my partner is 69.As for how  he is now, well he declined the 6 months of chemotherapy he was offered post operation as he just wanted to live his life away from hospitals for as long as possible. They said that a couple of lymph glands removed had been cancerous. On his 3 monthly oncologist meeting last week they said his bloods warranted another scan and if it shows anything they recommend chemo starting immediately. So at the moment it is wait and see. However, I think whatever happens, having the operation was  a good thing, we have had quality time. I hope this helps, stay positive and enjoy everything x

Love is eternal