Bcc removed but referred to ENT department?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi

i had a Bcc removed from above my eyebrow about 3 weeks ago. It’s was scraped off as as far as I was aware removed. But I received a letter saying I’d been referred to ent department to be removed?! Has anybody experienced this before? 
thanks Nicky x

• Hi Nicky

I haven't had a BCC removed but, like when you had your suspect mole removed a while ago, the whole thing needs to be removed.

I think that when you said it was scraped off this will have been a technique called curettage and electrocautery which involves scraping away the cancer and using heat or electricity to stop any bleeding. It is usually only used for skin cancers that are small. 

Possibly it was discovered when biopsied that they did not have clear margins so more needs to be removed. You have possibly been referred to ENT to have the remainder of the BCC removed. 

You will realise that's there's lots of assumptions going on in my reply and the only way you'll definitely find out why you've been referred is to ring the hospital.

If you want to chat to others who have been treated for BCC then you could join and post in the skin cancer group.

Do come back and let me know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you for your reply. I have a telephone consultation with ENT next week. Thanks x

• Hi Nicky

Just out of interest what do the initials ENT stand for?  In my mind, having endured a life time of visits to Ear, Nose and Throat departments (ENT) for the damaged hearing and balance I was born with, I am wondering if it is a different department or do ENT remove BCCs and I did not know this.  Just curious.