Hello

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 21 subscribers

Only just joined

I broke my hip and while in hospital got told I had CLL, Big shock,

as only lost my mum with cancer , 3 months before, I feel fine in myself , had two lots of chemo another 4 to go, just wondering if other ppl never felt I'll with CLL

• CLL can be confusing at first. It's a complex disease that has wide variability patient to patient. It is also an unpredictable disease which must be closely watched to correctly monitor any progression. It's a huge help if one takes the time to learn about CLL and become an informed patient who actively participates with their medical team.

The fact that we are not treated immediately is confusing and worrying

But not all of us are treated, I was diagnosed back in 2005, I exercise with long walks, bicycle rides, and feel fine.
    Here are some resources to learn about the CLL basics.

Some of the blood tests that should be done to get a definitive CLL profile & diagnosis (FISH analysis, Flow Cytometry, IgVH analysis, Cyclin D-1, FMC-7). When you have these tests done, make sure you get copies then go to links below to learn what these tests mean.

A Flow Cytometry is the primary test needed for the confirmation of a CLL diagnosis. The other tests provide some prognostic information about your CLL. The Cyclin D1 & FMC-7 tests are done to rule out some of the "kissing cousin" blood cancers that can be mistakenly diagnosed as CLL (such as MCL, SLVL).

Then search on Google for the CLL Society of the UK, who have excellent up to date information as well as a web forum on HealthUnlocked, where you can get ALL your questions answered, as well as meeting others just like yourself. ( All this information is free of charge )

I find it really helps to make every possible effort to stay physically, mentally, emotionally & spiritually fit.

Enjoy life, spend time with family and loved ones. And good friends are priceless.