Results next week but told it’s cancer

• 33 replies
  • 269 subscribers

I never imagined I’d be posting in this forum as I’ve fundraiser for Macmillan due to my parents both having cancer (dad sadly passed away in April ) 

Ive been so busy looking after dad I stupidly missed my screening mammogram in October and then have been struggling to come to terms with dad’s death . To top it all I’ve had done cardiac issues and was diagnosed with left ventricular hypertropy and an ascending aortic aneurysm in May 
At the beginning if July I noticed my left breast was tender and out it down to changing my hrt , but a couple of days later the tenderness got worse and when I looked in the mirror I could see my breast was bigger and firmer looking . I saw the gp same day who said she thought she could feel a lump too and said she thought it as breast cancer . 

I had my referral appointment 16 days later on 23rd July and had two mammograms , one a close up of my nipple area then through to the consultant radiographer for ultrasound . 
She said she couldn’t see a lump but I had two areas of calcifications which were highly suspicious and that my axillary node was swollen . I had three biopsies and in to see the breast surgeon . The room was full including the breast nurse so I knew it wasn’t good news . She said straight away it was cancer and I was a wreck , crying like a baby.

I spent an hour with the breast nurse who was lovely and reassuring and went home to wait my results . 
my appointment came through for 12th August which is 3 weeks from biopsy date so the waiting has been torture . My youngest daughter is only 14 and I’m dreading telling her.

I go from feeling optimistic to feeling there is no hope . 
Im terrified at the thought of chemo etc due to my heart.

The not knowing how bad it is or what treatment I’ll get .. is the worst at the moment but the consultant indicated I’m probably looking at mastectomy. 

I had so many plans for the next few months and had booked to take my daughter to a concert so mum guilt us already kicking in . I’m worried how she’ll cope going into year 10 .. so much going round in my head . 
I always thought I might get cancer with two parents with it .. but bizarrely I never worried about breast cancer , never checked my breasts properly and my mind is in overdrive wondering if it’s spread and it’s two late for me .

Every twinge is freaking me out , I’ve got sore ribs and I’ve convinced myself it’s spread to my bones .. it’s all feeling like a nightmare right now 

• So … it’s grade 2 IDC , axillary lymph node was clear ER- HER2 not back yet .

Because it’s quite large I’m told I’m most likely looking at mastectomy which I’m sort of at peace with tbh , I just want it gone .
    Breast surgeon was lovely and said all the usuals about it being treatable etc but said I’m potentially looking at a year of treatment .
    She wanted me to have the second area of calcification biopsies by mammogram guided biopsy and incision as she’s keen to get results back quickly but the radiographer said no as I’m on blood thinners so that’s booked in for next weds .
    She said treatment won’t start till probably end of August and told me to go off and enjoy my birthday weekend .

There was a shadow on my right breast but I had another mammo and scan and the radiographer said it all looked healthy to him . He was quite breezy saying not to panic about waiting for the second biopsy but obviously my mindset is … get it out now !

The breast surgeon said I think you need a cup of tea and I was taken through to a little room and a lovely nurse made me and my husband a cup of hot sweet tea !
    Everyone was lovely but it all feels surreal

• Hey there

ok so now you are a bit more in the picture

different kind of beast to mine - but I think the hoops are all fairly similar.

Will they remove some lymph’s when you have your boob op. If they do don’t panic that’s normal and it’s great they haven’t seen anything there. I had a lumpectomy so not an expert on mastectomy but it’s doable. And is you have some lymph removed - I can tell you that’s fine. 

so you will be in information gathering for a bit longer.

then you start the big fight back. You’ve got this…….

• I’m not sure tbh but assume they will . 

she said it was a large area but I’ve just read the letter on the NHS app from today and it says 1.1mm of IDC with DCIS and further biopsy in the other calcifications to rule out multifocal 

• 1.1 is tiny and on no nodes thats good

well not “good” but you know what i mean 

• I hope it’s not a typo See no evil possibly that will change at some point as results seem to evolve constantly. 
    the BS wanted me to have my stereotactic biopsy today but the radiographer said it was too risky with blood thinners so I’m back next week , anxious about the delays while waiting for results 

• Hello, I can totally relate to what you are saying. Please don't feel guilty; I think that is just a normal response to what is happening. I phoned the macmillan helpline and found it so helpful to talk to them. It truly is the hardest part waiting for all the results. I had to wait six weeks to see whether it had spread. You can only live one day at a time. Try to remain hopeful and things will be easier once you know for sure and what the treatment is. Please don't go on Google.. it doesn't help. Have a plan for each day and focus on things you can control. Bless you.

• I replied below to bad boob

• It’s torture isn’t ..  the endless wait for further test results and all the while I’m just thinking … get it out of me !! 

• I went for my second biopsy results today and these have come back as grade 3 DCIS , they’ve upgraded all the cancer to Grade 3 now and my breast is full of DCIS apparently with a small area of IDC .
    I’m booked in for a mastectomy which will be in the next couple of weeks and my consultant wants me to meet with the surgeon next week to discuss implant reconstruction as they don’t offer DIEP flap at my hospital .
    I’m ER and PR- but HER+ so I’ve got to have chemo after my surgery and herceptin … It feels like a lot to take in … I won’t lie … I’m bloody terrified as I have stage 1 heart failure and an aortic root anyerysm so it’s a huge worry

• Hi Bad_Boob

I'm sorry to hear they have changed everything to Grade 3 and that you'll need chemo. It's an incredibly scary time, especially with heart issues too.

I've been following this thread quite closely as your original biopsy date was the same as mine and one of the ladies who replied to you has been diagnosed with the same cancer as me - lobular. 

I have a second biopsy on 2nd Sept as the MRI showed a third "area of significant concern" which the original mammogram and more in-depth mammogram didn't pick up. I'm in no doubt it's a third mass, which effectively rules out a lumpectomy, and I've been left with choosing between a mastectomy with or without immediate reconstruction or mammoplasty. Each option terrifies me! I'm starting anti anxiety meds tomorrow as I'm a complete mess. Do you think you'll have an implant reconstruction? I'm worrying about the decision as I feel like time is of the essence and I haven't got all the facts yet.

Just want to wish you good luck with your surgery and follow up treatment. I'm sure you'll be well looked after and closely monitored. 

Hugs xx