Breast Prosthesis and wigs for ethnic minorities

• 13 replies
  • 250 subscribers

Hi.

Was speaking to a Macmillan advisor regarding the lack of support for ethnic minorities when receiving wigs and prostheses on the NHS.

The wig supplier through the NHS service are all European hair wigs. If I wanted something that was braided or afro caribbean style, I would have to use an external supplier and pay for it.

I don't think this is acceptable in 2022. I look at the people who are wearing wigs in my clinic and you know it's a shiny wig. (This is on a European person as well)

In the end I bought my own which wasn't 100s of pounds like the NHS ones. This is the first thing I was told by my clinic nurse that it costs a lot of money. It's a wig, not a hair transplant. 

The same issue with breast prosthesis, especially if you're larger than the average BC cups. There is much choice and all there was to have, was a heavy pink prosthesis. 

Has anyone else had this problem. 

I feel that these areas don't matter if it's not happening to you and that's why there's no proper research or consideration gone into it.

• Hi sunshine.I went for a wig fitting yesterday and was absolutely disgusted with the lack of choice .Wig fitter said she will try to source something online for me which will probably take a few weeks even though I’d sendt her pics of my hair Color over 2 weeks ago.I agree with you it’s unacceptable the lack of choice.Don’t know who to contact about this .Does anyone know?

• I was given a voucher to go to a really good wig place in Leeds. I’m not ethnic but I did end up getting another one online from My First Wig” which appears to cater for Afro/Caribbean hair, my hair is black/dark brown; they’re all lace fronted and can be glued on. They’re real hair and very good quality which can be styled with heat. I spent £119 on mine using a discount code. I know it’s expensive, but I’d spent money buying multiple cheaper ones (around £40 each), bit wish I’d just got one good one. Also have a look at Shein website, they do really reasonably priced ones for all sorts of people! They take a while to arrive, but worth a look. Best of luck, it’s a big deal and can make a huge difference to how we deal with this crap! Big hugs xxx

• Hi Mazz, Can I ask the value of the voucher ?  How easy was it to get a voucher rather that a wig being sourced for you by whoever deals with this? I would have thought £119 would have been covered as seems a pretty basic price for a wig.Forgive me if I’m misunderstanding .x

• I was sent a letter from my hospital in Leeds saying it entitled me  to one free wig, regardless of the value (well I guess within reason), anyway, usually theres a wig place in the hospital grounds, but because of covid, it was closed and I was sent to a rather up market shop in Leeds Victoria Quarter and was given a fitting and a free wig (value around £150). St James hospital in Leeds in one of the leading cancer centres in the UK and has an amazing wing dedicated to all things related to it including wig and prosthetic services. The one I bought myself from my first wig was just an additional one that I decided to buy. I find wigs quite annoying as they can be very scratchy and hot. I prefer hats with hair which were ok in February and March, but again, too hot and inappropriate for the warmer months. I’ve wound up buying loads of them in the hope that I can find a comfortable one, turns out, my free one is the coolest and most comfortable, it’s from a range called Natural Image. Best of luck xx

• So it was due to covid restrictions I understand.I think a voucher is something I need to look into as although I was able to go and see someone at the Hospital they had absolutely nothing suitable for me.I had sent pics at their request of my current Color and length,which I was to keep close to a weeks or so before and when I traveled to get there they had nothing in my Color or style! Couldn’t believe the broth me there and trying on a totally unsuitable colour and style! I’ve messaged to see is there an progress with source something and not as much as any kind of acknowledgment. I’m pretty upset about the lack of service or any care shown. Thanks for your reply.x

• You're right - the lack of recognition of wigs for non-European hair is not on in 2022. 

I recently got a wig from a private service where you send photos and the lady comes to your house with  a selection of wigs to try. I knew before she came she would struggle to match my hair type (3c). She came with several European hair curly wigs and one with far too tight curls but she said it was all she could do in the time available and it would have taken a few weeks to match my hair. Because she had a 'call-out' charge I felt obliged to buy one of the wigs. 

It's nothing like my hair so find myself hiding it under a cap or hat. I've just today ordered a wig from My First Wig which from photos seems very similar to my hair. 

I haven't received a voucher because I'm being treated privately I guess. But it is very wrong that the NHS wig supplier doesn't supply wigs for non-european hair.

• It’s absolutely shocking. I Have no idea who to contact about lack of choice for wigs ? The company’s they use to supply and deal with people with hair loss don’t seem to be accountable for the service they supply either which is shocking too.

• Like you, no idea who in the NHS overseas this job. Clearly needs some updating or a new style of sourcing.

• I've found this. Regional leads for management of nhs  supply chains. Perhaps an email campaign to them and the chief executive and the board of the NHS?

https://www.supplychain.nhs.uk/contact/account-managers/

I also found something which says the framework ends in January 2023 so this could be a good time for a campaign?