Breast Prosthesis and wigs for ethnic minorities

• 13 replies
  • 246 subscribers

Hi.

Was speaking to a Macmillan advisor regarding the lack of support for ethnic minorities when receiving wigs and prostheses on the NHS.

The wig supplier through the NHS service are all European hair wigs. If I wanted something that was braided or afro caribbean style, I would have to use an external supplier and pay for it.

I don't think this is acceptable in 2022. I look at the people who are wearing wigs in my clinic and you know it's a shiny wig. (This is on a European person as well)

In the end I bought my own which wasn't 100s of pounds like the NHS ones. This is the first thing I was told by my clinic nurse that it costs a lot of money. It's a wig, not a hair transplant. 

The same issue with breast prosthesis, especially if you're larger than the average BC cups. There is much choice and all there was to have, was a heavy pink prosthesis. 

Has anyone else had this problem. 

I feel that these areas don't matter if it's not happening to you and that's why there's no proper research or consideration gone into it.

• Totally agree. There not answerable to anyone.

• I went on a seminar with a charity for cancer hair loss and the lady who runs that was clear that the free NHS wig entitlement was required to be a good match for hair if any ethnicity and she did urge us to get in contact if they weren’t offered something suitable.  The details are  www.cancerhaircare.co.uk and it was the founder, Jasmin Julia Gupta who told us to get in contact and it was something she is totally passionate about. I know I’m a bit late to the party but if anyone is looking at this do check out their online seminars and YouTube clips about all things hair and do contact them if you are not getting what you are entitled to. 

• Oh thank you so much. I will contact them.x