acoustic neuroma recovery

• 1 reply
  • 35 subscribers

Hi my husband had an acoustic neuroma removed this time last week, he has had a really bad few days after the operation where he was really sick and could not get out of bed until after about 5 days he has been put on the rehab ward, and he is starting to walk with a frame, however the dizziness is not getting any better, im a bit worried as i have been reading about people coming home in less than a week and its already been a week. should the dizziness not been getting better by now, at least a bit.

he also has problems with his arm which is the really worrying thing he cant pick things up with it , he says it feels really light, and it seems to have a mind of its own. the dr says he has an angry brain, whatever that means and he didnt seem to worried about it , but its not getting better, so i googled it ,,, i know i shouldn,t have done this but it keeps coming up with ataxia which it says progresses and is incurable, im so worried now, has anyone had any problems like this, my health anxiety is at an all time high at the moment,   thanks for reading.

• Hi

I'm sorry to read that your husband has been experiencing side effects since he's had an acoustic neuroma removed. 

You need to remember that everyone's recovery rate is different and just because you've read that other people have recovered and come home in a week doesn't mean that it would be the same for your husband. 

If you're worried that your husband isn't recovering as quickly as you'd hoped the best people to speak to would be either his CNS or consultant as they know his full medical history.

It might also help you if you speak to someone at the British Acoustic Neuroma Association about your concerns. Clicking on the link I've created will take you to their website which has lots of information. They also have a support line you could call.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"