PET Scan

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hello,

Does anyone know if anal cancer can be staged without having a PET scan? The insurance has denied the PET scan. They want me to have a CT scan.  I know the PET scan Can determine if the cancer has spread anywhere else so I’m not sure why they won’t authorize it. So frustrating! Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Meg

• Hi

I was diagnosed, staged and treated and never had a PET scan - only MRI or CT scans - had treatment in 2019 and to date the growth aka "Quentin Tarantumour"  has still left the building.  CT scan can also show if cancer is anywhere else x

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • Hi Meg .. Yes I’m sure it does .. Good luck with it all!! .. Sharon x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Deb1E

Deb1E,

Thank you for your quick reply. Do you mind if I ask  what stage you were? My tumor is 1.5 centimeters. I’m wondering if the insurance will only cover a PET scan if it is a certain size. I just know that my doctor did not mention a CT scan until the insurance denied the PET scan. So hard to know what to believe.

• Hi 

I was T2 which means the tumour was between 2cm and 5 cm in size.  I know other people with larger tumours who only had CT and MRi scans.  Because of the exposure to radioactive rays and the fact that you can only have so many I think they only use PET scan where they have to - I also think it depends on the hospital where I am they only recommend a PET scan if there is an indication that the lymph nodes are involved.. 

Carpe Diem
    Deb1E
  • Hi Meg (, 

I was diagnosed February 2018 & I’ve never had a PET scan either, I think here in the UK it seems dependent on your treating hospital & oncologist whereas in the US it may be insurance  related & maybe only people with evidence of mets on their CT scans go on to have PET scans. 

Nicola

• Hi  here in the UK we would have a pelvic MRI scan and also a CT scan of the lungs and liver. As has said I’m pretty sure a PET scan would only be recommended if there was metastasis to the lungs and liver picked up on the CT scan. Hope this helps. Bev.