Any men ? I was diagnosed with anal cancer last September

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I was told it was a rare cancer for men to get. 

Just wondering if there are any men in this subject 

• Hi Dave 

I just joined this group although I was diagnosed 4 yrs ago with anal cancer. Despite not joining sooner I found the support group helpful. I decided to join now to offer any support to other's. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Peteinlancs

Thanks for your reply Pete, hope your doing ok. I have had 6 weeks of chemotherapy and radiotherapy to treat the cancer I Finished it 23rd of December, spent Christmas and a good 3 weeks nursing the skin damage (that wasn't nice at all) I have got over that bit now . Still have a few days feeling a bit green and don't feel like eating etc. I was told that the treatment had a 70% chance of curing me. I am now trying to build up my strength and waiting for a 3 month check up.

I know the closer that date comes I will be very anxious and putting to the back of my mind for now.  

How long did it take to get back your fitness to how you are now? 

I never had a stoma so I don't need any reversal on that.

• Hi Dave first of all well done on getting through this intensive and painful treatment. Now you need to give yourself time to recover. The treatment carries on working after its finished and in my case (everyone responds differently) several months before my activity levels were back to pre treatment levels.

I am in remission however I still experience painful chronic constipation and bleeding, to help with this I take fybogel other than that I am back to my normal levels of activity. The follow up scans are anxiety provoking and I still become pre occupied with pending reviews when they are due. I hope you continue to make a good recovery. I’m sending positive thoughts and please keep in touch with your progress. 
    peteinlancs.

• Hi   just wanted to say welcome to our group. I am please to see you have made contact with  . Please come back with any further questions or concerns you may have. All the best Bev.

• Hi ,

Just to echo  in welcoming you to the online community. I’m pleased  has made contact, support from others that have been in your situation is invaluable throughout  diagnosis, treatment & indeed recovery. I’m also pleased that you’re into that recovery & sound as though you’re healing well. I agree with  that scans certainly are anxiety provoking no matter how far down the line you are. Wishing you continued success in your recovery. We’re always here when you need us. 

Nicola