Blood in stool

• 2 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello.  Having to post again in this forum is crushing.  I have completed my chemo/radio (28 day cycle) and have since been for a CT/MRI and all was ok.  The last 2 weeks, I’ve noticed dark (almost black), blood in my stool. I’ve ignored it for 2 weeks but I’ve been told off by my fella and he’s told me I need to seek advice.  As if 2020 wasn’t bad enough!

• Hi ,

I’m pleased your response to the treatment was good & your scan reports were good too. 2.5 years after completing my treatment I still occasionally get a bit of blood but mine is always fresh & bright red  & usually just at the very end of a BM, I’ve been told by my oncologist that it’s probably an anal fissure. I’m of the understanding that if you pass blood in your stools the darker the colour the further back it’s come from, there may be a really simple explanation as with mine but I would definitely give either your oncologist or surgeon a call even if it’s just to make them aware that this is happening & if they think it needs checking out then they can make the necessary arrangements. 

It’s good to hear from you again, although obviously I’m sorry you’re experiencing these issues. Please keep it in mind this isn’t a place just to post your worries & concerns but somewhere you can share your good news too, this can be really encouraging to people just starting out. 

Nicola

• Hi   I'm sorry you're experiencing this, it's terrifying isn't it. I too have had bleeding a few times after treatment ( now 16 months post-treatment) after bowel movement, the blood is bright red. My Oncologist told me to expect slight bleeding from time to time but if the issue persisted to contact him.  I agree with   that this does need a checking telephone call to your colo-rectal nurse/oncologist. There can be lots of reasons why blood can be present in stools, most of them harmless but it does need checking out.  The good news is that your scans were clear so that's reassuring. I really hope all will turn out ok for you. Bev