Advice please

• 23 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi all

Hope you are all getting through this nightmare as well as possible. It's been great to share experiences with you all.

I'm beginning my treatment on Monday. Hands up I'm dreading it. I've entered a clinical trial and been advised that the dose I receive will be higher than normal so I'm expecting worse side effects. Any treatment buddies out there due to start next week?

I was advised by one of you lovely people to buy a portable bidet that sits over the toilet. I found the best one ever. I has overflow holes so no toilet tidal waves! And a bonus pump that sprays water at your most sore areas. Works wonders to soothe and clean that leakage away. Highly recommended. I will attempt to post the picture of the one I bought from Amazon. 

Was wondering if anyone knows of any good healing salts or a soothing something I can add to the water?

I have a strong feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of time on this seat. I've also read that going for a wee can be very painful once the radiation burns begin so I'm planning on using this bidet for this reason too. I'm all geared up in the downstairs toilet.

So.. sorry to ramble but any advice on healing salts or products would be much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.. stay strong everyone...

Michelle xx

• Hi there 

Its good to hear you’re on the starting blocks so to speak. It’s only natural that you’re feeling this way, it’s fear of the unknown isn’t it? 

It sounds as though you have the Rolls Royce of portable bidets there & are very well equipped for every eventuality. Regarding salts I used Epsom Salts or Dead Sea Salts both made by Westlabs, they’re quite cheap from the supermarket or somewhere like Home Bargains/B&M’s if you have one nearby, both are known for their soothing properties, I find anything with magnesium content really good for my aches & pains also. I suffered radiation cystitis quite early on during my treatment, it can’t be treated like bacterial cystitis so the bidet will be great if you happen to get a bout of that. I also, on advice from my radiotherapy team, only ever washed with QV cream which they provided which is basically an aqueous cream & I still do as anything else, however mild, irritates the new skin. 

I found preparation was key for me during treatment & it sounds as though you’ve definitely thought things through. Try not to worry too much, your side effects won’t come all at once, they build very gradually & you’ll cope with them as they arise I’m sure, don’t be afraid to tell your oncology/radiotherapy team of anything you’re experiencing as they’ll have lotions & potions to help. I’d like to wish you all the very best of luck for Monday, stay in touch & let us know how things are going. We’re always here if you need some support.

Nicola 

• Thanks so much Nicola. I'm dreading it all to be honest but at least I know I'm not alone. I will keep you posted and as always the support of Macmillan is priceless and very much appreciated

• You’re welcome. I remember being absolutely beside myself with fear & anxiety before I started treatment but I felt more relaxed once that first day was over as I’m sure you will too. As long as we’re  here you’ll not go through this alone. 

• Hi Michelle,  I had anal cancer in 2008 before there was anything like this!  But as far as soothing and healing products you can't beat emulsifying cream.  You can buy a large tub from Boots.  It dissolves in water if you want to soften the water.

I used to apply it when I got home from every radiotherapy session, and after every visit to the loo.  Wash with warm water every time and then apply emulsifier liberally front and back bottom.  The trick is to keep yourself washed and covered with cream through and after your treatment ends.

My consultant couldn't believe how well and quickly I healed.  Its also the cheapest cream you can get.  It's used a lot by eczema sufferers.

Other tips -

have a soft cushion or 'hoop' cushion to sit on.

put towels over your bed sheets so you don't have to keep changing it.

sleep after your radiotherapy sessions

find things you like to eat that are bland so easy to digest.  I lived on cornflakes and rice krispies!  And Ensures - build up drinks.

Very best wishes - its tough but keep going and keep asking for support and accept all help offered. xx Fi

• Hi Fi

Thank you so much for the tips. I will be rushing out to Boots tomorrow to buy the cream. I'm sitting on my hoop cushion as we speak. It's been a God send already. 

I'm really pleased you are out the other side of this. I can't wait to be too and am bracing myself for a painful few weeks. But hopefully now not quite so painful thanks to you. Will let you know how it goes. Rest assured I will be accepting any help and advice offered.

Kind regards

Michelle 

• Hi Michelle, 

I started my treatment on the 23rd. Chemo tablets are making me really nauseous but the nurses are on it and have changed my anti sickness plan 3 times already. Radiotherapy area just started to become irritated yesterday. More itching rather than burning. I did find Thursdays session gave me a sun kissed glow but has gone done now. I too have a portable bidet but haven’t yet used it. 
    Good luck for Monday. If it’s any consolation, I cried through the whole of my first day. It’s perfectly normal to be nervous. You will be well looked after. 

x

• Just a little add on ,
    To try & keep your skin in as good condition as possible for as long as possible moisturise, moisturise, moisturise, I lathered on the QV (aqueous) cream each time after washing, after each loo visit & bedtime too. If you already have some in start today. The only thing I was advised was to not put it on directly before a radiotherapy session but I went straight to the loo afterwards & put it on, other than that my nether regions were permanently slathered in cream. The radiation causes a reaction similar to sunburn so your skin dehydrates so the more you moisturise the better. Also when my skin began to get irritated I found washing was more comfortable than wiping! That where your bidet will help too. 

Nicola

• Thanks JAS78. I guess we're almost treatment buddies then bar a week. Hope the sickness feeling has eased. Nothing worse!! 

And now I know I'm allowed to cry all day tomorrow and that's normal so thank you also for that. Best of luck with your journey. Here for you to rant to and discuss side effects whenever you like.

Big hugs.. stay strong.. we've got this x