Hello

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

I have not posted anything so far but I thought I would say hello. I feel very lucky because I have had 3 lots of anal surgery (very painful recovery, lots of Imodium, salt baths, sudocrem) but I am now pretty much continent.

I have also undergone treatment for breast cancer, which apart from one episode of swelling, cellulitis and cording, has been a walk in the park compared to recovering from anal surgery. 

I am now undergoing chemo (FOLFOX) as the cancer has spread to my lymph nodes - I am doing something right because my cancer is not spreading far or fast but I am hoping that FOLFOX will chase it all away. 

I am struggling with the chemo - I was very sick and ended up in hospital after my first round; I now have stronger anti-sickness which is better but i still suffer from awful heartburn on the last night/day of treatment.

Any tips on managing heartburn appreciated - I am on omperoazole, sulcrafate and chomping through Gaviscon tablets like they are smarties but nothing seems to shift it effectively.

• Hi LucyB70, I've just had a look at your profile and see that you originally had rectal cancer. I don't have any experience of FOLFOX, having had Mitomycin and Capecetabin as my chemo so unfortunately can't advise as to the heartburn. Maybe someone in this group will be able to advise. I would also contact the Oncology nurses and also put this post in the Rectal Cancer Group. x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to 1in1500

Hi there - my mistake - I thought that anal cancer and rectal cancer are one and the same!

Thanks for your reply - I will message the nurses

Kind regards

lucy

• Hi , 

Welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry you’ve had the need to find us. You’ve certainly been on some journey from your original diagnosis haven’t you? I sympathise with you totally regarding the surgery, I too had a local resection as first line treatment for my anal cancer & the first couple of weeks following surgery I really did wonder if I’d ever get back to anything near normal! Regarding the heartburn remedies I know if I’ve had really bad heartburn the chewable Gaviscon tablets don’t touch it but the dual action sachets always work, you can take 2 together, it’d be worth a try. Hope you get some relief soon. 

Nicola