Seating help

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi all,

My Nan has anal cancer and her external tumour is quite large. She can only lay in bed on her left side but would LOVE to sit when eating to help her digestion. 

The palliative nurses have got her a commode but it’s quite painful as it is when using the loo.

does anyone have any seating advice or a creative suggestion?

thanks 

• Hi, I got a special cushion for sitting on from the District Nurses.  It is very comfortable. There are a couple of different types available I believe. Ask the palliative nurses as they may be able to sort this out or failing that, they should be able to put you in touch with your  local District Nursing Team. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi,

My doctor suggested an inflatable cushion. They said not to get a ring type cushion as that would make me more uncomfortable.

hope you find something suitable,

• Hi ,

I had surgery to remove my tumour prior to chemoradiotherapy & was really uncomfortable post surgery as with your nan I couldn’t sit & could only lay on one side. I ordered a doughnut cushion off Amazon to use in the car & to enable me to sit at the table with the family for meals. Maybe your nans hospital could provide her with one to try? 

Hope that helps. 

Nicola