Anal Cancer Recovery

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 37 subscribers

I still cannot sit or hardly walk 5 weeks post anal tumour removal surgery. Perm stoma fitted, which is fine. Any advice on how long recovery takes ,age 82

• Hi there ,

Firstly welcome to the online community although I’m sorry you had to find us.

2 years ago on 14th March I had my tumour removed surgically (no stoma) prior to 4 1/2 weeks of chemoradiotherapy, this followed on 8?weeks after my surgery. I remember being so sore after my surgery & 3 days after my surgery my stitches burst & then things got really painful. Once things began to heal it kind of happened fairly quickly to be honest. I probably noticed a difference around 4 weeks post surgery. 

I know hospital appointments etc., are a bit all over the place at the moment with the country being in the predicament it is with COVID-19 but do you have a check-up due? If not I would see if you could see your GP or maybe a home visit by a district nurse could be arranged just to put your mind at rest that everything is healing ok & there’s no infection etc. I found Epsom salt baths a godsend both after my surgery & during & after treatment. 

I hope this helps a little.

Nicola