Routine scans

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Good morning.

I finished my treatment in August 2017. I was under the impression that we had scans every 3 months for the 1st year following treatment, and 6 monthly for 2 years, then annually for the last 2 years.

For some reason I have been told that I don't need a scan until August this year, which will be 12 months since my last scan!!!

Am I right in my thinking?

Thanks in advance

Sharon

• I think different areas have different ways of working and it would also depend on the stage and grade of the tumour. I have had pelvic MRI’s at 3 and then 6 months post treatment then I should have one at 12 month’s post treatment then annually for the following 5 years. I was Stage 2 grade 2. X

• Hey! I finished treatment in dec 2016...I didn’t have my 1st lot of scans until September 2019!! MRI and CT.....all clear! Different trusts work differently I do believe! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

Its common practise to have a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam) every 3 months for two years, then every 6 months, then annually.

MRi and CT scans are usually done annually. 

Things can differ between hospitals but this is what I’ve had. I’m 19 months post treatment. 

Sx

• Hi ,

I’m also 19 months post treatment, I have DRE’s at each check up & CT & MRI annually. My surgeon said DRE’s are by far the most reliable way to monitor things. I was diagnosed T1N0M0 & my tumour wasn’t visible on either of my diagnostic scans (CT & MRI) but my surgeon said he could definitely feel it. 

Nicola