Travel insurance - declaring but not covering my cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 18 subscribers

i had a blood transfusion at end of 11 chemotherapy and based on this cannot get any insurance cover for a week in Spain next week. I would be happy to declare my condition and exclude it from the cover but cannot find any company that will do this - I intend to be totally honest so won’t omit facts or hide the truth - has anyone gut cover for everything but or am I reliant on my eihc card for the trip

• Hi

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find reasonably priced travel insurance when you have a cancer diagnosis. I don't know whether you've had a chance to look through the Member's Stories thread yet as it's where the majority of recommendations from other forum members are. Clicking on the link I've created will take you directly to it if you haven't seen it. 

Most people recommend that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as sometimes they can refer to the underwriters to see if they would cover you when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

As for relying on the EHIC card the NHS website points out that it's not a substitute for travel insurance as it doesn't cover such things as needing to be flown home, cancellation of holiday or lost and stolen property.

I do hope that you can get some reasonably priced travel insurance and that you have a great time in Spain. Do come back and let us know how you get on.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thanks yes have tried this and phones the showstopper is the blood transfusion- I have no cancer symptoms but would like cover even though if cancer excluded but no one seems to offer this - I guess I am stuck with eihc

• I'm sorry to hear that you can't get insurance either with or without your cancer included . You wouldn't have thought that having a blood transfusion would be the problem Disappointed

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

I think it’s also pre medical conditions as well but I got insurance last year and only change is the cancer diagnoses!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, my partner had the same issue.  He had a triple heart  bypass but was discharged by the consultant.  He then had bowel cancer stage 4, he had pArt of bowel took away, has stoma bag and he is on chemo.  Cancer has disappeared but needs chemo to keep it this way.  We went to Cyprus in September insurance companies either didn’t want to know or wanted to charge an enormous amount more than the cost of the holiday.  He decided to go on holiday without insurance and thought if he started to feel unwell he would get an earlier flight back.  It is a risk to go without insurance and as others have said EHIC will only cover some charges not all.  I would not advise to go without insurance, but it depends if you like risk taking