Breast cancer and sex

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 60 subscribers

I had surgery in March, lumpectomy, was offered chemo on the basis Of borderline oncotype test results, but chose not to have it, and have just finished radiotherapy. I have started leiprorelin injections and will start taking Exemestane next week. The consultant has told me I will start medical menopause, I’m 41. But I’ve also been told I need to keep using another form of contraception which I guess has to be condoms. I have two children and I don’t want to have any more. I don’t understand why the need for contraception if I am going to have a medical menopause.  After all the treatment And amidst covid my husband doesn’t think this is big news but I am really upset about this. I just want to be back to normal now the radio is finished.  I feel that literally and psychologically having to use condoms is a barrier and already feel lack of libido and intimacy as a result of all of this.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you were diagnosed with breast cancer and it's natural that the treatment can throw up lots of questions.

As the community is divided up into groups, I'm going to recommend that you join the breast cancer group, where you can ask post your questions about having to use condoms. 

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion?

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"