Going into breast cancer treatment with existing PTSD.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi all, 

I was diagnosed with DCIS late last year and had surgery just before Christmas. 

I've coped with all of that fairly well. 

However, I've now got to have radiotherapy and the explanatory medical videos I have watched have triggered some horrific flashbacks to childhood/adolescent sexual trauma.

I just can't imagine coping with that everyday for several weeks as I undergo treatment. 

Equally I really need to have radiotherapy as I have adopted children and they have suffered enough loss already in their short lives.

I'm getting to the stage where I can't eat or sleep with anxiety. 

Any ideas how I can get through this?

Huge thanks. x 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with DCIS and that you are worried about how you will cope with radiotherapy.

Could I suggest that you join the very friendly breast cancer group as there'll be lots of people there who can share their experiences with you and tell you how they coped.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and post questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Thank you.

Sorry to have posted it in the wrong place. Could you possibly delete it for me as I can't seem to find a delete button?

Thanks again. 

• Hi

You haven't posted in the wrong place. New to the Community is the place to post when you first join if you're not sure where to post. One of us will then come along and suggest appropriate groups for you to join.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"