Dads recent diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi, last month was dad was finally diagnosed with lung cancer. With secondary cancer in his bones and other parts of his body. He was ill for around 2 years, struggling with his breathing and not feeling himself. He was told it wasn’t going to be cancer because they haven’t seen anything like it. He was given steroids to get rid of the infection but of course it didn’t work.

He was finally sent for a lung biopsy, and after waiting nearly 6 weeks for the results, we finally got them. Only to find out it’s stage 4b. It’s hard to know how to take it and how to feel, but at the minute I’m extremely angry. And I’m taking it out on everyone who is close to me. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi K10, I'm really sorry to hear your bad news. I know how difficult and scary it is, I too was fobbed off but was fortunate to be able to pay to have a private biopsy on my lymph nodes, which I was told were normal, which showed cancerous cells. I am still waiting to have a CT scan to find the primary source, probably the lungs, but things are moving.

Youe anger is understandable but try to channel it into positive thoughts that now something can be done to make your Dad's life better. He obviously has your love, try to move forward and be strong for him. Everyone on this site will be supporting you and your Dad and that support has given me a lot of comfort and hope and I am sure will help you. Lots of hugs x

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to hear how poorly your dad has been and that he's now found out that he has lung cancer with secondaries.

I see that you have already joined the family and friends group which is a great place to share your worries and get support. You might also like to join the lung cancer group where you can ask questions and share experiences with others who will know what your dad is facing.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then post a question or introduce yourself after selecting 'start a discussion' and respond to existing posts by clicking on 'reply'. 

When you feel up to it, it would be really useful if could pop something about your  dad's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Sending a supportive (((hug)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"