What to eat and drink?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi, 

I’m new to this site and have just started Chemo on Monday. Can anyone recommend a tea or drink that might taste relatively how it is meant to taste? I’m finding Peppermint the best so far but know I’ll be bored soon. Water tastes horrible to me.

Many suggestions on healthy light meals too would be gratefully received. 

Thanks in advance.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

oh the burnt out taste buds! Just horrid. 

I found sweet tastes and acid tastes remained truest so adding lemon or lime slices to tonic or soda water was good. Lemon grass and ginger tea worked for me as a hot drink. I found that Smoothies made with strawberry, blueberry, banana yoghurt and cranberry juice could replace a breakfast and keep their taste. 

As for meals, I remember a very sad day when I cooked a lovely sausage sandwich, all sizzling in the pan and smelling good. I took a bite and all I could taste was cardboard.

I found it much better to base meals around something acidic - so a Caesar salad with plenty of dressing and anchovies and crunchy croutons for texture, ratatouille with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar over the top or a pasta sauce built around a good hit of a dry white wine and a strong fresh herb such as rosemary or thyme. Where I might previously have looked to the meat in a meal for the flavour, I had to look elsewhere at the acidic elements of the food. Does that make sense? 

On the upside, I found my taste buds recovered quite quickly.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy your food. It’s so important

xx 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Daloni-

Thank you so much! The acidic element would explain my sudden Tomato Ketchup addiction! 

I’m definitely going to try the salad / ratatouille and smoothies! They will be on my shopping list today! 

Thank you!