Caring for someone with lung cancer and feeling isolated

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 58 subscribers

My partner has had chemo and has now been offered immunotherapy.  

We live out in the sticks and because we only moved here last year I don't know many people and I gave no family close by, so I feel very isolated

Suzie 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Suzie,

I think cancer treatment is sometimes harder on those around the patient, as the Doctors don’t often get the opportunity to ask how you are coping.

I joined the community today because I too am feeling the isolation, albeit as a patient. I think you’ve shown enormous bravery to sign up, and I am hopeful that we will both feel less isolated as a result.

Which county are you based in? Maybe some of the members can recommend other support?

• Hi Susie and welcome to the online community

Having a cancer diagnosis can be a very isolating experience both for the patient and the carer so you've done the right thing in reaching out to us here.

I see that you have joined the carers group and I'm sure that if you post in that group you'll find plenty of support. Clicking on the link I've created will take you back there and choosing 'start a discussion' will allow you to introduce yourself.

You might also benefit from joining the lung cancer group so that you can ask questions about your partner's treatment.

Another idea is to see if there are any support groups close to your new home. Visit the In Your Area page and you can pop in your postcode to see what's available.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your partner's journey so far into your profile, as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"