Don't mention the bus!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 60 replies
  • 52 subscribers

I'm sure between us we could write a book on what not to say to someone with a terminal diagnosis. 

"We're all going to die"

"I could be hit by a bus tomorrow"

are fairly high on my list, along with "what's going to happen to your dog?" and "have you lost all the hair down below?" (why do you ask???)

My sister was very upset by something my cousin said to me yesterday, "we're all terminal"

We're all mortal. There's a huge difference between being mortal and being told that advanced metastatic cancer is progressing and likely to be the cause of your death in a matter of months.

We're all going to die but hopefully most of us will not be having treatment that makes us very sick, invasive tests and the constant threat of complications hanging over us.

Depending on your source the chances of being hit by a bus are 1 in 3.2 million.

We all appreciate that it's hard and sometimes impossible to say the right thing, and that sometimes people blurt, but some of these throw away comments that trivialise what we're experiencing should be gently put to rest.

We're all in the same storm, we are not in the same boat. xx

• Oh @ruthjp me too. I am getting better with the dying thing for myself (most of the time) but I wanted to go to my children's weddings and meet grandchildren as well. I have told my daughter to lower her standards. Any unneutered male will do but she has left it a bit late to fulfil her daughterly duties!

I also hate the idea of the pain I will unintentionally cause to my children and husband by dying sooner than we had all planned but it is all out of my control.

Sorry it has all got a bit more serious than I had intended. Where is that sense of humour when you need it?

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • Hi Everyone, I think it's good to get things out in the open about how we feel! In this group we can go from humour to serious then back to humour, that's what is great about this group. It gives newer members an idea of what people CAN say to you and maybe now you will have an answer ready. Not necessarily a sarcastic answer but just how it makes you feel! Whereas before this Thread you would maybe just have stood there not believing what was just said!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Lol, “you’re so brave” is the one that does my head in! What do you expect me to do? Sit in a corner quivering in terror until my time is up? The cat still wants his dinner and the bins still go out on a Monday! Of course I’m gonna live as best a life as I can! Doesn’t make me brave! I didn’t get introduced to an adversary and I wasn’t  given an option to take him/her on, I have no choice but to live with the beastie and make the best of it! And as for the speeding Bus of Instant Death - I was unaware that a terminal/incurable cancer diagnosis was an automatic exemption from being hit by said Bus? I have to admit to being a “hit by a bus tomorrow” lifetime advocate but really? I feel that I’m even more likely to be hit by the Deadly Death Bus because my eyesight as well as my ability to run away have been severely compromised by my illness and the toxins I’ve had to endure because of it so I’m even more likely to be hit by the bl***dy Bus on top of everything else! Joy

Hello everyone, I’ve decided it’s probably finally time to join the “incorrigibles” after my “terminal” diagnosis August 2019. I hope I’ve not offended anyone. I’m severely honest and particularly bad at “pussy footing” but hope for understanding and acceptance. A couple of weeks in the “naughty corner” will probably do me good, though, if I’m a bit too much to cope with for starters xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Dear BinBag

Your company in my naughty corner would be fabulous... Although I'm afraid Norbs is gonna have to go - too much sucking up to the powers that be recently...

Stay Strong

SiT

• Binbag, you are in, might be on my lap until room can be made. One other member dosnt realise how close to expulsion he is. I know that because I've be sucking up to the powers that be!

Properly entertaining post. Xx

• Loved the post. Carry on with more of the same.

It’s  true none of us live for ever x

Ruth 

• That’s why I’ve been quiet Smile

• Hi everyone

By now some in this thread will have had their posts moderated for saying, in jest, phrases that have inferred violence in them, unwittingly. It's against the community rules, it seems (I was unaware until someone pointed it out to me) even if joking. Just letting you know because some of you have said that you have had posts removed recently and it could be more black marks against your names.

I can't tell you how I know this because I'm not allowed to discuss any action taken by admin, if I did receive any. This post may be removed but I only wanted to warn my friends. 

I'm going to ask someone from admin to explain the situation.

Take care and stay safe everyone

Tvman xx

Love life and family.