Carboplatin

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 11 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I have had one cycle of Carboplatin on 1 April and have felt so rough. I’ve had almost constant diarrhoea, and on one leg just above my knee are some small spots. I don’t have a temperature.

I was just wondering if anyone else had been on this drug and if they had any side effects. I’m reluctant to ring the emergency number and waste anyone’s time. 

I also think this is the last drug my oncologist will try

so I was determined to try and stick it out, any help will be much appreciated 

• Hi ,

Sorry no one has replied , so although I have never had carboplatin, I thought I would reply to bump it back up the discussions. From the info in the A-Z of chemo drugs on this site, I think you should be contacting someone to ask - both diarrhoea and rash are mentioned as something to get advice on.

Hope you get some support and feel better soon.

x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi  

I don't know anything about this drug either, sorry, but I do know that you're not wasting anyone's time if you ring the emergency help line. That's what they're there for and they would far rather you rang than suffered in silence. I've rung my own emergency help line on more than one occasion and they always said it was the right thing to do.

I hope things improve for you, best of luck.

xx

• Hi  Hi, sorry I have no experience of this drug either but I'm sure someone will be along soo with personal experience. In the meantime I'd advise to call your emergency Helpline number is right, that's what it's there for! Or on the morning you could contact the McMillan Helpline at the bottom of the page and ask their professional advice. Maybe if they also say call the emergency number, you may realise it's the right thing to do! Please don't take chances!

Please come back and let us know how you get on!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!
  • His Hazel,

I had Carboplatin  back in 2015 and had no side effects, but I was in much better health back then.  I had previously had Cisplatin with quite a bit of nausea. Not much help I am afraid. Chemo gets harder and harder on us the more we have. I hope you feel better for the second round!

lots of positive thoughts towards no side effects.

Jamit

• Hi Hazel54

I had carboplatin and it can be tough. Please call the emergency number as that it what they are there for, and they can probably help you in some way.

It may get easier along the way.

Take care x

Flowerlady x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi

I am sorry not to have replied sooner. I’ve been off the site a few days dealing with some stuff. I’ve had carboplatin but in combo with taxol and it was rough. I remember having diarrhoea and taking Imodium to control it. 

I agree with others here about calling the helpline. It’s what they are there for. I find it’s helpful just to talk to someone who knows, even if they tell you what’s going on is normal. And if it’s not normal they can tell you what to do. So it’s a win either way. 

I do hope you’re feeling better now 

xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi , I was on this ccarboplatin for four months.  I had the usual side affects. Nausea, stomach upsets, fatigue, indigestion all the normal things with chemo but I didn’t lose my hair, that was a bonus. I was fed up of taking anti nausea tablets that didn’t work. One thing I didn’t like about it was , every other week you had to take a chemo tablet at home, aThe first time I did that I was so Ill, it went straight through me, so my doctor stopped this   That meant I had to go into the unite  every two weeks, but that worked.The emergency number is for things like this..Do not be afraid to ring them. They are very helpful it does not have to be an emergency, it could be you just need a little advise.  You will not waste any ones time. Wishing you luck, stay strong.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Just to let everyone know I rang the emergency card number and had to take photos of my rash which has now spread extensively. The Dr apparently looked at the pictures and decided it was nothing to do with the chemo. They prescribed me some Imodium. I have a phone appointment with my consultant on Monday.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Helen, sorry to hear about your rash but I’m glad you rang the help line. I thought Imodium was a diarrhoea drug. Have you been sitting in the sun this last week and got prickly heat? I hope it goes well with your phone appointment, let me know how it goes. Take care.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Yes Imodium is a diarrhoea drug I’ve been suffering really badly for almost 2 weeks but they don’t seem too concerned. Should be due more chemo on Wednesday.

Thank you for your reply take care