Chemo Pumps At Home

• 4 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Just a practical question, I am about to start my first Folfiri in three weeks time and I know that I go home with an infusion for 48 hours. How big are the pumps and is the chemo in a drip bag or syringe? I am wondering if a standard bum bag is big enough to fit it all in or should I be looking for an over the shoulder handbag type thing? thanks

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Nicky,

I am on FOLFIRINOX which ends each cycle on an infuser/pump for 48 hours. My local hospital issued a bag to me, I didn't have to provide it, one that fits the infuser perfectly. It's about 20 cm long by 11cm wide. The infuser is hard plastic with a flexible bladder inside which holds the meds. The length of the carrying strap is adjustable. I wear it across the body on the shoulder during daytime, then around my waist under my nightie when I sleep. Hope this helps

• Thank you, perfect, I am just trying to prepare as much as possible, I had my diagnosis and prognosis confirmed yesterday so my mind is in a whirl trying to prepare for all eventualities.

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nicky Nosher

You don't have to do everything at once, Nicky. If your experience has been anything like mine you have been bombarded with information from every direction . Take a deep breath, try to relax and work out what is your first priority. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions you have here, someone will know the answer. Very best of luck with your treatment. 

• Hi Good luck with your treatment and so pleased you got some practical help here!

Yes I agree it's best to take things one step at a time! A marathon starts with the first step! I'm sure you will be well organised!

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!