Another newbie joins the group

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 25 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I have posted, although I feel I already know you all so well!  I am one of what I suspect may be many members who read your posts and gain huge support from them, even though you don't know we are there.  However, the time for me to contribute is long overdue.

Thank you all so much for the support you have given me over the past (almost) two years since my cancer was first diagnosed.  I cannot begin to tell you just how much you have given me strength and hope.  After my hysterectomy my cancer was staged as 4B and my oncologist in Norfolk said I had between six months and a year to live.  My husband and I both thought this was the end, but hearing about all your experiences and the brave way in which you are living with incurable cancers has given us hope - and here I am today to prove it!!  I have my next scan in September and the situation may then be different, but this is August and I'm still feeling not too bad at all, so thanks for helping to get me here.

By the way, when I chose the name Norfolk Lass I didn't really care what I called myself, as I didn't feel I would been around long enough for it to matter.  If I had know I would still be here now I would have thought of something more imaginative!! 

Hope you are all having a lovely day and enjoying the sunshine.  It is so hot here in Norfolk …….

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Daloni

Thank you so much for replying.  Yes, Norfolk is a beautiful county.  We moved here from North Yorkshire 12 years ago and now live on the North Norfolk coast (not the posh bit - we live near Cromer!).  As you say, it's not as flat as we are led to believe - you soon find that out when you ride a bike round here!!

I am particularly grateful to you for something you said in one of your posts back in early 2018.  I'd had my op and the bad news that followed it and was feeling really down.  You said that when you were first diagnosed you had spent too long dying.  That really resonated with me and I thought "you are right Daloni and I'm not going to spend whatever time I have left dying, I'm going to live every day and enjoy it".  That's what I've done since then and it has worked very well for me, so many thanks for your help.

I've no idea what the scan in September might bring.  I'm on Trabectedin, which is a maintenance chemo given over 24 hours every four weeks.  I've had nine cycles so far and it has just about held my tumours other than a little grown in Horrid Henry (that's what I call my largest tumour - I should mention I haven't named all my tumours but that one, in the lower part of my stomach, I can feel quite easily if I lightly press my stomach, so I talk to it and tell it to begin shrinking!!!).

Are you feeling any better now?  Earlier this week you mentioned you were feeling nauseous and in pain.

Norfolk Lass xxx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to anndanv

Hi Annette

Thanks so much for your kind welcome.  Love the name "The Incouragables" and, although this was a club none of us wanted to join, if we have to be here then it's a pleasure to be with such a  lovely group of people.

Norfolk Lass xx

• FormerMember

Welcome Norfolk Lass and Elliekate,

Already you've both made comments that resonate with me and I'm grateful you took the time to post. 

It took me a while to pluck up the courage, too, but the support and kindness from this group is priceless.

Sometimes someone here gives me the words to express something I'm struggling with, sometimes I say things I wouldn't share with my nearest and dearest, and there's always someone who understands.

We may not be a group anyone would choose to join, but one of my friends calls us, 'the Incredibles' xx 

• FormerMember

Hi

Thanks so much for your kind comments. I’m so glad that what I wrote resonated with you so strongly. you have it spot on when you say “Sometimes someone here gives me the words to express something I'm struggling with, sometimes I say things I wouldn't share with my nearest and dearest, and there's always someone who understands.” I think you’ve put that so beautifully - thank you.

I do like the nicknames for this group too. I tend towards the dark humour end of things and “the incorrigibles” brings a wry smile to my face. But “the incredibles” makes me beam. 

This group has become so much a part of my life now that it’s hard to think back to the days before I joined. I too had to pluck up the courage to post the first time. 

Yes I’m feeling better and thanks for asking. I’m in Norwich staying with my nieces and we are off to the seaside tomorrow (today? It’s the wee small hours so I’m wide awake as usual). Can’t wait! 

Xxx

• Hi

Pleased to read you are feeling better Daloni and enjoy the seaside! It's my favourite place, no matter if it's in Scotland or abroad, I just love the sound of the waves and the feeling of sand and water between my toes!

I too, read a lot of posts before I found the courage to actually write something! I'm sure most of us here were hesitant! It's similar to walking through the doors of a hospice or to your first oncology appointment! We all share these experiences, so that's why we "just click" because we all "get it"!

PS  when I posted this the first time it said I'd posted it at 11.35 on 31/8 when in fact it is 00.36 on 1/9 early for me eh?

Love Annette x

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift!!!