Paclitaxel - anybody currently on it/had it?

• 12 replies
  • 12 subscribers

I’ve been told today that I have to do chemotherapy again. I was offered capecitabine and a possible clinical trial but I opted to go all-in with the chemo because I feel like everything else will just be prolonging the inevitable. (I had the red chemo - I can’t remember the name, and docetaxel in 2018 after first diagnosis), and I will be starting paclitaxel soon - what’s it like? Other than the obvious, hair falling out, etc... My CNS says it’s ‘gentler’ than docetaxel. Can anybody give me a heads-up - thanks!

Shel

• Hi Shel , you may want to consider putting your question around some of the other groups you have joined as this will give you a better spread for getting answers.

You could also use the search tool and look at any thread covering your treatment.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Ok thanks!

Affirmation: I Will Live and The Cancer Will Die.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi I am on weekly Paclitaxel since August 2019 and my tumors either dissapeared or keep shrinking.

I dont have many side effect.I had hair loss but my hair growing back since January,I have never been sick,no diarrhoea,no sore mouth or mouth ulcers.I used to have bad skin rash but my GP prescribed me a good cream and the rash has gone.

I have some nails discolouration and pain in needles in my fingers.Otherwise I am ok I am not feeling tired at all.And I am going back to work on Monday and Fridays having chemo.

Feel free to ask any questions.This is my second time with cancer and Paclitaxel.

Janet

• Hi Janet!

Wow, your reply has really cheered me up, thanks so much! As this is going to be my second experience with chemo I kinda know what to expect however, I’m a bit tentative with one I’ve never had before. The lesions on my liver is what my oncologist is concerned about - the palbociclib & letrozole has stopped working. Fingers-crossed this chemo will kill every cancer cell. So good to hear that you’ve not had many side-effects and are returning to work, that’s great! I’ve had a nightmare returning to my job, but that’s for another post!! 
    I will be having 6 cycles starting next week or the week after, once every 3wks - how many cycles have you had, did you/do you have the self-injections to boost your wbc inbetween cycles, and what is your treatment plan for when you’ve completed everything??

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ShelleyL

Hello before treatment I had tumors in my liver and kidney.Latest scan in April showed there are clear.I dont count the cycles anymore because I am having it since August 2019 and because its weekly I am not having any injections which I had it with the red devil EC 2,5 years ago.

My onco doesnt communicate with me and my team is pretty rubbish i wanted to go to a different hospital but then the virus struck.So I dont know anything whats going one.Only thing she said she will keep me on till its working.

Luckily my boss changed my duties,I work in a care home,so I just will help the manager in the office,update some care plans,order medication and so..But at least I will see my friends there and the residents.They all have been tested for covid and its all negative.Its for me like beeing normal.I was off sick for 1 year because I have lung mets too and I barely could walk now I am stronger so I want also life outside hospital.

I am glad I helped you I am here if you need.

Janet

• Hi Janet

The red EC chemo is most definitely the devil’s juice, right?! That’s what I called it while having it the first time round. I barely got through 3 cycles of the stuff, so when I was told yesterday that I’d have to do chemo again my heart sank because I thought I’d be on the same as before; after hearing how you’re coping with paclitaxel and the positive feedback from my CNS, I feel alot less nervous now and just want to get started asap! I’m lucky to have a good oncology team/CNS who are always there to help me and after speaking with you, I’ll have more questions for them before signing the treatment consent.

Janet, thank you so much for replying and being there for me - it would be great if I can continue to reach out to you during my cycles? I have a big family (both my parents and two younger sisters, uncles and cousins) but no-one I can talk to who really understands. I would be so grateful if you could be that person Slight smile

Shelley

• I forgot to ask - if you don’t have the injections to boost your white blood cells, how are they during your cycles? Are they low, normal, borderline?

• FormerMember

I am glad I could help.My bloods are always ok.Never needed any tranfusion or never had any infection.I am doing 3xweekly and 1 week off.So its not too bad before it was really every week with no break between but it was too much mentally.And at least have time to recover for next cycle.

Its only me na husband my mum lives abroad and missing her so much.

Janet

• FormerMember

Hi Shelley I have send a friend request.I hope its ok with you.

• I’ve accepted your friend request ^_^

You and I sound like we have alot in common; I’m 37, no kids (and no husband yet) and was relatively healthy before being diagnosed in 2018. The cancer had initially spread to my lymphnodes and vertebrae but thankfully, the first round of chemo and radiotherapy killed everything and I was in remission until July 2019. The cancer returned on my lymphglands inbetween my lungs which the palbociclib & letrozole was shrinking, then later on my liver which it continued to shrink on both sites but now it’s stopped working for the liver. The lymphglands are still shrinking though, which doesn’t make any sense but..... I am grateful that there is a medication available for me and am positive that it will work.

It must be hard having your mum so far, it sounds like you and her have a close bond - maybe you can facetime or skype? That might help xx