Painful scalp

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Just finished my first 3 week cycle. I have had bad scalp pain. Has anyone else had this? And more scarily is the hair less permanent? 

• Hi your post inspired me to sign up to Macmillan.I have just had 2 Fec on 3rd and my only symptom has been itchy irritated scalp,little like neddles or feathers being dug in.

Lol husband went to bed with Trump comb over look alike and woke up with Rab C Nesbitt!! Hair going like a very bad perm.I haven't shaved yet as where it has fallen is smooth and silky,no pain.Got Brighton Belle pink wig ready,along with Pompey Lil blue.Proper one on order Raquel Welsh Voltage.

Looking forward to when it grows back.

P.s couldn't do cold cap don't do brain freeze.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to OscarTheCatgotmehere

I’ve just finished my second cycle and I’ve had the itch and irritation too as my hair falls out. my hair is (was) thick and quite wiry and curly so I think this may add to the irritation.  Cold cap wasn’t available for me - my chemo regime - Etoposide and Carboplatin defeats it apparently. I was expecting ting my hair to go quite quickly but it’s hanging in there - wispy but still present. I’ve also got a crazy wig on order - platinum blonde and electric blue (my natural colour is red). I’ve also bought some cashmere beanies from M&S sale lovely and soft as well as some soft jersey chemo caps from amazon, as my head feels v cold when I go out. I wish my head was attractive enough to go bald but it’s shaped like a breeze block so I’m going for the cover up!

• Yes I'm going for different alter images,just ordered a navy Fedora hat to go with Lil.I've had alopecia in small on and off all my life,always grown back curly and stronger.

Some of those cheapy wigs are amazing.

Main shead started day 17.

• I have had two cycles of chemo and my hair is pretty much all gone.  My scalp has been quite tender, but now my main concern is how dry it is.  I am using baby shampoo to wash it but does anyone have any recommendations for the best kind of moisturising treatment?  I don’t want an oil slick on my head but the dry flakiness needs addressing!

Thanks, Nell x

• Hi Neil,

I have used olive oil,just a small amount is all you need.Put it on damp scalp and pat dry.Check the baby shampoo is ph 5.5,your own skin ph as some are more harsh,acid or alkali and washing with them can aggregate the condition.

Y

• Hi Neil,

I have used olive oil,just a small amount is all you need.Put it on damp scalp and pat dry.Check the baby shampoo is ph 5.5,your own skin ph as some are more harsh,acid or alkali and washing with them can aggregate the condition.

Y

• Hi Neil,

Y

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to OscarTheCatgotmehere

:D OscarTheCatgotmehere - what a brilliant name. I love the pink wig possibility and the blue. I have a wig but have gone with caps and beanies through sheer laziness.

Hope you are getting through the cycles. The CV situation is quite nerve wracking. We are now self isolating - my husband is working from home now but avoiding all outside contact because of the chemo. How are you doing? 

Sorry for being so silent. We had a catastrophic - felt like it then, but obviously now far worse with CV. My mum had a fall, ended up in hospital, been an upside down world for a while! 

My hair settled down...welll more like fell off completely- but the pain and tenderness went with it. How incredibly soon everything normalises is what I am surprised by. It feels pretty run of the mill to look in the mirror and see an egg stare back at me. I didn't realise how much my ears stuck out till now. The self discovery is a rather startling journey. 

Anyway, I am heading for my final chemo of this cycle. And then radio for some weeks. Hair raising. Or not, given the lack of hair. 

Will try to be in touch 
    VelvetM