Smelly mattress!

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 43 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

This is a bit of a strange one but it is driving me CRAZY!! Around 2 weeks ago we had a bed and mattress delivered to the house for Mum as she cant go upstairs anymore. The bed and mattress were provided by the palliative care team. The mattress is called a 'dyna form mercury' mattress and is sort of plasticky to stop bed sores. 

Once it had been in use for a few days I started to notice a very sweet/ sickly/ musty smell. I thought sadly that the smell was coming from my Mum who is in the last stages of life now (I had read someone else asking about a smell coming from their dying loved one). So i didnt think much of it although it was becoming quite overpowering! 

Anyway... since then Mum has gone in for a hospital stay so I took the opportunity to wash all of the bedding/ hoover the floor/ wipe the mattress and other surfaces... 

Mum has been in the hospital for 5 days now and the smell is still here - and if anything getting stronger! 

My question is - could it be the mattress that smells??! This is the only new thing in the house that I can think of and the smell  is definitely strongest in the room with the bed!