New here

• 17 replies
  • 17 subscribers

Hi, I’m new here. I decided to join to speak to others to ask for help and support that are going through the same. I’m 33, I found out in February I had breast, after all my appointments I had surgery about 3 weeks ago. I had a lumpectomy and 4 lymph nodes removed. The results of these were all negative. I’m now due to start radio therapy in a few weeks and tamoxifen possibly next week. I’m worried about taking tamoxifen? 

• Hi so sorry you find yourself here.  I'm usually on the main breast cancer group as I'm 51 but wanted to reassure you as my journey was similar to yours - lumpectomy, 4 nodes removed with no evidence of cancer in the nodes.  I had the intensive radiotherapy which seems to be a new thing.  It was all completed in 5 consecutive days.  I am now on tamoxifen and have been for about 6 weeks with no side effects other than constipation which is slowly improving.

Hopefully some of the younger ladies will share their tamoxifen experiences with you soon.

Wishing you all the best with the remainder of your journey x.

• Thank you . They did mention about intensive 5 day course but due to my age she said I’d have to do the 15. 
    that’s good regarding no side effects. I just keep reading all the horrible ones and worried. 
    wishing you all the best too x

• Hi 

I was diagnosed at 34? I hope you are doing OK.

I'm exemestane so have no experience of tamocifenbit just wanted to say hello and offer support if you need it.

Take care

Aimee x

• Hi  how are you doing? Silly question really I know ...I’m 43 & also had a lumpectomy 3 weeks ago and 2 nodes removed (negative) having been diagnosed in April (what a rollercoaster).  I’m also due to start radiotherapy week after next and then Tamoxifen- like you I’ve been a little nervous /apprehensive, not knowing what to expect but the more people I speak to including the clinicians, I am learning that the side effect profile can vary person and person and it might not be as bad as I think? It’s great to have this forum to share experiences.... xxx

• I’m ok, picked up my tamoxifen ready to start Monday, so feeling very anxious! My radio starts 1/06 as we have a little break away with children in 2 weeks! one minute I’m fine and like you say, everyone is different regarding side effects! But then the next I’m panicking! I don’t want to feel different or tired. I want to keep up with my exercise and not gain weight. 
    how are you feeling? Have you been healing ok? 

• I know exactly how you feel - same here. Nervous about side effects and really don’t want to experience weight gain and need to read up on diet and exercise and how might be able to help with that should it happen (it might not right?). In meantime, I’m healing well - day by day the twinges are lessening thankfully. The hospital called yesterday to walk me through the radiography planning session which made me nervous - need to be coached on the breath/hold technique as the tumour was in left breast where heart is- trying not to think about it too much and deal with it on the day! Gulp! I know someone on tamoxifen and she’s doing great and training for a triathlon post mastectomy last year so we shouldn’t worry - we can do this!!  Xxxx

• Hi I had radiotherapy in the left breast and the breath hold technique is easy and nothing to worry about and I’m still doing absolutely fine with tamoxifen - no side effects and no weight gain.  It’s hard not to worry because you won’t know if you’ll have side effects until you start but it is possible not to and if you do they can often settle down and go away after 6-8 weeks.  That’s what I was told.

If you do find you gain weight and want to try a diet I like using intermittent fasting which isn’t really a diet.  Loosing weight happens almost as a side effect - great to have a positive side effect for a change.  I started it before I found out I had cancer because it claims to have a lot of positive health benefits including on our hormones and because I wanted to loose a few kg.  

Wishing you all the best with the rest of your treatment. X

• Hi this is so reassuring to read :) Feel so much better for reading this! I’ll check out intermittent fasting... thanks so much xxx

• So glad I was able to help   Feel free to message me if you need to talk or vent. This site is what got me through my cancer journey.

•  thank you! You have definitely put me and  at ease with our up and  coming treatment! I started Joe Wicks 90 plan last year and it’s the only reason I found my cancer and I also love running with friends! But his food is to die for! Although the last few weeks I’ve been ordering in Gusto! Omg I don’t even have to think what I’m cooking for dinner everyday! It’s there in my fridge with everything I need x 

I’m glad I signed up to this group and have others to talk too!  Xx