My husband died in my arms on the 2nd May (2009) - what happens now?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7970 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My husband - Chris - died on the 2nd May 2009 because he had anal cancer. He knew he was going and we spoke about lots and lots of things before he died. That is why I am just not prepared for the huge amount of guilt I feel now. I feel guilty that the world hasn't stopped turning round even though he has died. I feel like everything should stop as a mark of respect. I also feel very guilty that he had to be so ill he had to die. What a cruel cruel thing it is to make someone so ill their body just stops working. I wasn't ready for him to go. I really really hope these are normal feelings because I must hang on to my sanity for the sake of my 3 children. I have never known sadness like I feel right now. I can't believe that I will not hear his voice or feel his touch again. We were married for almost 32 years and I have known Chris for 34 years - since I was 16. What happens now? Ailsa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Helen and everyone, Helen I paid our mortgage off when we were lucky enough to get paid out from our insurance and just a word of advice if you don't mind me saying, I wished I'd left ÂŁ100 on it that way you don't have to look after the deeds and you only have a tiny tiny tiny mortgage to pay each month. My day is ok so far. Sorry but I can't get used to the free time either and making my own decisions and not going down the women's isle in supermarkets.

All take care.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Kev

Funnily enough the girl at the building society asked if I wanted to keep a £1 in the account as we would have still had 5 years to run on the mortgage. She said then if I ever need to borrow again I am an exisiting customer and not a new one. No interest will be charged on that. I already have the deeds here when we swapped the mortgage over a couple of years ago and I have also had just my name put on them.

Helen xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Helen, how do you just get your name on them, I never thought of that.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Kev

I had to download a form from the land registery and send it to our local Land Registery office with a death certificate. I think that was all. Do a search for Land Registery

Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Helen, I will and thanks

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Edit****

Kev go to Land Registry website, click on forms and publications then policy documents then download form DJP

Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi everyone. I've calmed down now. Did the ironing and had a cry and now I feel much calmer. I just wanted to say thanks for the land registry advice Helen. I had my will written up a couple of weeks ago and the solicitor mentioned getting the deeds changed. She said lots of people forget or assume it is automatic. It had gone clean out of my head but now you have mentioned it I will do it this week. I paid off my mortgage completely after Chris died and the solicitor who wrote Chris's will just before he died and then mine more recently is keeping the deeds safe for free. She said it isn't quite as important as it used to be now that the land registry is all electronic.
    I think you are all right about the freedom thing. I haven't a clue what to do with it, don't want it and so I think I try to fill it all with jobs. I am going to make a very serious attempt to do as little as possible for the next week.
    Good night everyone. Ailsa xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi, good night.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi, thanks Helen.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Everyone,
    Hope you are all ok, just been reading all the posts i also paid off my mortgage something less to worry about. I know what you mean about free time i just have to keep busy all the time, i don't like sitting in the evening by myself i have no interest in the television now, god only knows what i will do when dark nights come again.
    Take Care
    Fiona xxxx