My husband died in my arms on the 2nd May (2009) - what happens now?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7970 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My husband - Chris - died on the 2nd May 2009 because he had anal cancer. He knew he was going and we spoke about lots and lots of things before he died. That is why I am just not prepared for the huge amount of guilt I feel now. I feel guilty that the world hasn't stopped turning round even though he has died. I feel like everything should stop as a mark of respect. I also feel very guilty that he had to be so ill he had to die. What a cruel cruel thing it is to make someone so ill their body just stops working. I wasn't ready for him to go. I really really hope these are normal feelings because I must hang on to my sanity for the sake of my 3 children. I have never known sadness like I feel right now. I can't believe that I will not hear his voice or feel his touch again. We were married for almost 32 years and I have known Chris for 34 years - since I was 16. What happens now? Ailsa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Fiona3, glad you paid off that mortgage and my TV is on but I'm not watching although I did see that Scotsman win yesterday well done Andy. All my hobbies are no longer and that includes football (watching), the only interest I have is here, it's like I have found a whole new family who know what I'm on about, so thanks everyone. Take care Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi, I haven't posted on here for quite a while. I lost my husband Geoff on 29 January 2009 to secondary cancer with mets to the brain and lungs. Completely lost I came across a website that has truely been a life saver, not only to me. Please don't take offence at the title of the page: www.merrywidow.me.uk There are so many on there who know what each other is going through. Give it a go, I did and it was one of the best things I have done. My thoughts are with each and everyone on here. I am now going through the "process" of loosing my mum who was diagnosed with advanced and widespread lung cancer whilst Geoff was so poorly late last year. I keep asking "who have we p****d off to be dealt all this sadness, loss and misery"?

Love and hugs to you all.
    Elaine xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello everyone. Hi Fiona - you had the same thought as me about the dark nights. I am dreading them as I assume I will get fewer visitors then as well - no one ever wants to go out on dark nights do they?

What is it with us all and not watching TV anymore? I have hours and hours of things sky+'d from when Chris was too ill for me to get the time to watch them. Now I don't want to take the time out to watch them on my own because I know they were all recorded when he was still alive. It will be 2 months tomorrow since Chris died and it seems like far more. For years time has seemed to go by so fast and now it goes by so slowly.

Like you Kev, I get a huge amount of support from coming on this site as it is only on here that I don't feel like I am bothering anyone with my grief.

Hi Elaine. I read thorugh your profile and you have had a really difficult time and now with your poor mum so ill you must feel so drained. I am going to have a look at the wesite you mentioned in a moment.

I have managed to sort out another one of Chris's credit cards today so there aren't many things to sort out now. Good thing really because I am running out of the energy to see to much more now. I have been to the cemetry on the way home from work today and watered all the plants - they look lovely so I think Chris still looks cared for.

Bye for now. Take care everyone. Ailsa xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi everyone, nice to hear from you Ailsa, again I know what you mean about recorded programs, they don't mean anything, oh sorry everyone I can smell our dinner burning I'll be back later.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi everyone, panic over the dinner was fine, I will be thinking of you tomorrow Ailsa. As for dark nights I hate 'em, don't really know why just do.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Evening everyone

Just been to a friends for a drink and a chat, so warm, too hot to sleep!

I`ve also been thinking of dark nights, can get out and do the garden now but not in the winter!! Tele is something I don`t bother with much either - don`t sit down long enough but oh so tired!!!

Daughter wants me to join our local gym with her, was thinking that might help me in the winter, somewhere to go, talk about planning ahead!!

Well the church we wanted to bury Paul`s ashes have said no as we no longer live in the parish, even though his mum and dad do and we got married there, children got christened there and Paul even went to school there. Daughter most disappointed. Went to look at the church in our Parish but not rushing into anything, Paul`s ashes are in my bedroom so at least they`re safe xxx

Ailsa it really doesn`t seem 2 months does it? I`m on 8 weeks today since Paul died, 2 months next Monday.

Kev glad your tea was ok lol!!!

Off to bed now, hope there`s no storms like last night, the thunder and lightning were amazing at 3am this morning! The dog came and kept me company!!

Night

Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hello. nite nite Helen and everyone else.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi everyone. Looks like it's going to be another warm night. We didn't get any thunder storms - feel a bit cheated, I love thunder storms. It is a shame that the church wouldn't let you bury Paul's ashes there especially after they have played such a part in previous ceremonies for your family. You are right not to rush any decision about what to do next. I was talking to Chris's sister a couple of weeks ago. She lost her husband suddenly 8 years ago. He had a heart attack on a golf course. Jackie decided to have his ashes buried under a tree on the golf course but now she finds it difficult to visit. She doesn't play golf so it is odd to go on a golf course when you are not playing. She feels a bit uncomfortable just wandering around. The anniversary of his death is March so she usually goes then because the course is quiet but otherwise she doesn't bother. It is also 14 miles away so it is quite a trip. She now wishes she had put some on the course and some closer to home in a memorial garden. Take your time and keep Paul close for now.

The gym may well fill your evenings in the winter! I am nowhere near so adventurous but I am going to by a Wii fit this weekend!

2 months today since Chris died - I think I have had a better day then I expected to have. Some previous significant days have been very difficult but I kept myself reasonably busy but not so much I wore myself out and that seems to have worked better.
    My son has invited me to a race night at the local cricket club tomorrow night. It sounds like fun and I can go with him and his girlfriend so I am going to give it a go. I am looking forward to it - good sign!!
    Has anyone else got anything plan for the weekend?
    I'm off to bed now - take care.
    Ailsa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Ailsa,and everyone, no plans for the weekend just boring food shopping. Good night.

Kev xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Everyone,
    My daughter and me off to see The Eagles at Hampdon in Glasgow on Sat night this was my 50th birthday present from my son and daughter, we are going to stay in a hotel on Saturday night and do some shopping when we are there. I am a bit worried how i will get on at concert as they were Derek's favourite band and he just loved there songs his favourite was 'The Last Resort' so i know i will have a cry when they play it( i just wish he could be there with us) Been very hot here today thought we were going to get thunder but it seem to pass.
    Take Care
    Fiona xxxxxxxx