My husband died in my arms on the 2nd May (2009) - what happens now?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7970 replies
  • 26 subscribers

My husband - Chris - died on the 2nd May 2009 because he had anal cancer. He knew he was going and we spoke about lots and lots of things before he died. That is why I am just not prepared for the huge amount of guilt I feel now. I feel guilty that the world hasn't stopped turning round even though he has died. I feel like everything should stop as a mark of respect. I also feel very guilty that he had to be so ill he had to die. What a cruel cruel thing it is to make someone so ill their body just stops working. I wasn't ready for him to go. I really really hope these are normal feelings because I must hang on to my sanity for the sake of my 3 children. I have never known sadness like I feel right now. I can't believe that I will not hear his voice or feel his touch again. We were married for almost 32 years and I have known Chris for 34 years - since I was 16. What happens now? Ailsa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ailsa

so sorry to hear about your hubby. I too lost my hubby to cancer.

All I can say is what you are feeling is quite normal, the guilt etc. is just something we have to go through. As for what comes next, I don't know. I have felt every emotion possible since losing him in January. Some days are easier to get through than others but none of them are good days. Somehow I find the strength to get through each day and I am sure you will too.

I hope you are surrounded by people who love and care for you.

Love and hugs

Allyson xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Dear Canda

You are where I was only a few months ago. I am another cancer widow. Something that in my entire life I never ONCE thought I would be. Yet there are so many of us, and widowers too.

And guilt goes with it, I know. We feel guilty we didn't get our husbands to the doctor earlier, so there would have been more chance for them, we feel guilty that they got the cancer, and not us, we feel guilty because we torment ourselves that there must have been something more we could do, and most of all we feel guilty because we are alive now, and they are not, and the world has come to an end but no one seems to have noticed.

I can remember going into the supermarket for the first time after my husband had died, and it seemed so utterly bizarre that all that 'normality' was going on, when nothing was EVER going to be normal again. I wanted to shout at them: "HOW CAN YOU GO SHOPPING WHEN MY HUSBAND IS DEAD???!!!'

There is a poem that tells how impossible it is for anything ever to be normal again.

Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
    Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
    Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
    Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
    Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
    Put crĂŞpe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
    Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
    My working week and Sunday rest,
    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
    I thought that love would last forever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood;
    For nothing now can ever come to any good.

Our world has ended, there is no more point to anything, except to mourn.

There is only one line of that poem I disagree with, and that is "I thought love would last for ever. I was wrong."

But that's what is not true. Our love DOES last for ever. We loved our husbands when they were alive. We love them still. We always will. The love never ends. Never.

Julie.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Thank you Julie and Allyson for your replies. At least I know I am feeling 'normal' feelings. Somehow that hasn't made me feel any better but then that is probably normal as well. I have lots of support - sometimes it is even hard to get time to myself but everyone is trying so hard to do the right thing that I won't turn anyone away. My Dad says this is the worst thing that has ever happened to his family and I can see that my distress is making him very sad. My parents thought the world of Chris. I think I am having another bad day but I am not going to give into it today because there is so much still to do. I promised Chris I would sort out all the practicalities and make sure the house etc was safe so I have a list of things to get through today. It takes such a lot out of me each time I ring someone to sort out insurance etc.

The poem is so true and my children commented on the same things - how can normal things still be happening and most of them are so trivial.

Anyway - thank you both for making feel less alone. Take great care and I hope you are both getting all the support you need through your grief as well. Ailsa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Canda I know exactly how you feel

Mu hubbie died on 6th May aged 42. The house has been so busy and life is going on but I don`t want life to be `normal`, what is normal. I know I won`t get normal back now Paul`s gone.

My son and daughter are keeping me going and my brother has been staying with me.

Ploughing through the paperwork and letters that need sorting, wondering about going back to work but my wanders so much too during the day. Not had a day yet since he died that I haven`t cried, when does all that stop?

Keep in touch

Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello Helen,

Thanks for sending a reply. I read your profile and I don't think it helps that we have each had to go through such a hard time before our husbands died. I know I am worn out and Chris and I talked about that before he died - we were both exhausted from everything that had happened in the past 2 years. Now I want to curl up and ignore everyone and everything but there were promises I made to Chris. I must make sure everything is okay. I too have been thinking about when I should go back to work as I made that promise to Chris as well - make sure I keep my job! I think I want to try to go back on the 1st June but then I feel so dis-loyal even thinking about going back. I wish someone would just tell me what was right. Just like you Helen there has not been a day when I haven't cried. Chris is buried not far from here so I think the best thing I can do with the rest of this afternoon is go to see him, have a good cry and a chat and see if I can do anything constructive afterwards.

Take care Helen - you know how I feel and I know how you feel so I hope I hear from you again. Ailsa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi Ailsa

You have just reminded me to update my profile. I am thinking of going back to work on 1st June too. I work in a school so that is after half term, and then I have the 6 weeks summer hols which now seem to be a chore and I have to be off then, where as before I looked forward to them!

Don`t think anyone can tell us what is right, a friend said it is all down to how I feel and I know Paul would want me to get back to work.

I`m off to see what I need to do about the will that we only made a few weeks ago.

Bye for now Helen xxx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    my heart goes out to you all, I dread the day when I will be in your position. You are all fantastic loving wives and partners and I just know your love for lost ones will never die. You have loved and supported through thick and thin, even now you are getting on with day to day stuff. I think everyone needs time to grieve, to readjust so do that, dont feel guilty, we will all have to make this journey on this site. my thoughts are with you, love leisha
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember
    my heart goes out to you all, i too lost my hubby in february, and i have been through feelings, i didnt even know existed, my heart has been shattered into a million pieces, and if one more person says to me, " time is a great healer" i may not be responsible for my actions! ITS ALWAYS THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE NEVER LOST ANYONE CLOSE TO THEM that says it, sometimes its hard getting through the day, never mind the night, jackie x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Good evening Helen, Leisha and Jackie. Thank you for taking the time to answer me.

Jackie - I have seen your posts from time to time when I have been on this site. My husband, also called Chris was my life and had been for the whole of my adult life. We grew up together as we met before I even left school. He seemed so grown up back then even though he was only 18 months older than me. I will never get over what has happened or how it has happened. I have stayed up far too late tonight so now I will easily get upset. I am so sorry you lost your husband and I am so sorry I have lost my husband and I am so sorry for all the others but I have no idea what to say to help. I don't know what anyone should say to me to help. I think I would be best off finishing this post and going to bed.

Leisha - thank you for your message of support and encouragement.

Helen - I was messing about with Chris's will today. He signed one less than 2 days before he died. He suddenly got it into his head he had to have a will. I just hope it helps as I have spent the whole of today doing paperwork.

I am going to go to bed now and hope that all of us have a better day tomorrow. I am so tired but I dread going to bed. Take care everyone. Ailsa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember
    Hi guys, the poem has just brought on my first real bout of tears. my partner joanne is in a hospice with possibly days left, am home for a quick wash having spent a hideous night in a chair next to her. it all feels like my whole world is about to come crashing down- and to top things off her parents are being complete arses. its so hard right now- running out of lip to bite - but keeping my little woman happy keeps me going. i have no idea how i will manage without the one person that made my life whole