Really struggling today

• 60 replies
  • 32 subscribers

It’s been 32 days since my husband fell into his final sleep and it’s feels like each day is getting harder. Everyone keeps telling me how well I’m doing and how proud they are of me but I am heartbroken. It’s the little things that are gut wrenching - like Dave always used to alter the clocks when they went back. The pain is physical - even thought I am very lucky to have a supportive loving family (including four grandchildren - one who was born just three days after Dave passed away) I try to occupy myself with them and can keep a brave face on but the minute they leave it all just swamps me again. 
I feel angry that although we had 25 amazing years together we should have had at least another 25 to go - I am a widow at 52 and have lost my soulmate. Apart from our family we never needed anyone else as we were everything to each other. Everywhere that I go reminds me of him. 
We loved walking our fur baby but now those places are tinged with sadness as all I can do is remember walking hand in hand with him or sitting on a bench with a coffee just chatting. 
I need a hug but I need it from him. 
I know o should probably go back to work as being at home on my own isn’t helping but I can’t beat the thought of coming home and him not being here - he was furloughed throughout his illness so was always waiting for me to get home. 

I know everyone on here is suffering, hence we are here but I just needed to get it out as I don’t want to burden my family with my sadness 

• I often wonder this - and do feel that with the developments of imaging scans more is diagnosed than ever before but if this is the case why can they not also find a cure 

• I feel exactly the same. As much as o have wonderful friends and family I feel like they just don’t get it. Plus I try to hide my grief as I don’t want them to worry about me. On here we can let it all out and know that we all understand. X x x 

• There are some types of cancer which have seen huge advances in diagnosis/ treatment/ survival such as cervical cancer due to vaccination programme & cervical screening but we also have some types were the outcomes have not improved in the last 25yrs such as pancreas, ovarian & lung to some extent. By the time people present with symptoms it is often advanced at that is mainly due to these organs being deep in the body - sorry I’m putting my nursing hat on here! 

• I’m sure you’re right. In fact my mum had breast cancer 19 years ago and is still going strong. It was picked up very early on a routine mammogram and was so small that at the time she would not have been able to feel a lump so the timing of the check up was spot on. 
    it would seem that more rigorous screening could help prevent more but I understand that would take a lot of resources and money and unfortunately the NHS doesn’t have enough of either. 
    We also need to find a way to get men talking about it and more willing to see a GP earlier. I had to force Dave to go as he was worried about what he thought the initial test for  his prostate was going to be Rolling eyes

• Yes men do need to be encouraged to go to see a Dr earlier but my husband did present at the onset of symptoms & was referred for chest X-ray at time of his initial consultation but it was too far gone, I have gone over in my head were there any earlier tell tale signs but there was nothing.  Xx

• I’m sure with your occupation you would have picked them up if there had been any earlier signs. We could all drive ourselves crackers thinking of the “what ifs” 

• …….. and i have driven myself mad with the ‘what if’. Rob didn’t have his yearly MOT in 2020, It was free via his employer, I asked him to have before he gave in his notice but due to Covid he couldn’t have local and would have to travel to London which he didn’t want to do. Who knows whether they would have picked it up 4 months earlier than the back ache and stomach cramps that he got. 

I wTched that program the other week about pancreatic cancer and apparently there has been no advances in curing for the last 40 years.  i’ve joined the research group and waiting for an opportunity to come up that I can help.

have a good day everybody, i’ve a busy one today.

Gkenis 

• Yes you are absolutely right & I also knew very early something was wrong as it took over 7 days for his chest X-ray result to come back if they are normal they are usually back within 72hours so my mind was 100 miles down the road before we even started with other results, knowledge is not always good! When Craig got his diagnosis I joined the lung cancer group on here & had a quick look last night & somebody had put something on about their partners cancer being close to the heart and did anyone have any information on this, this was like Craig but I couldn’t bring myself to post anything as I do not want to cast doom & gloom on a family which may have some hope, I felt sick when I read it!
    Any plans for today Jillybean?

• Yes your right re pancreatic cancer, shocking statistics in the modern world! Would be great/ positive/uplifting if you can be involved in research.

enjoy your busy day, I’m cleaning as have friends coming to stay not done any since Craig passed away 3 weeks ago so really needs doing Laughing

• I have done similar this morning -looked at the prostate cancer group and saw a post which resonated with Daves illness but equally felt I couldn’t reply as our story didn’t end well. Yesterday I felt like I needed to clean - how do cutlery drawers, which only have clean items in get so many bits in them -  this wound up being a full scale blitz of getting everything out of every cupboard. Even that was difficult as I came across certain foods that I only bought for Dave - what do I do with them now. Getting rid of them seems wrong but so does keeping them. Dave hated things being wasted so I think I’m going to look for a food bank as I also have loads of brand new toiletries-  Dave always liked to be prepared so I’m taking like 5 lots of everything. 
    Today I am taking my parents to Meadowhall as apparently they”need” some things. I know they just want to get me out of the house, and tonight I am going to spend the evening with my son, daughter in law and three grand babies (ages 2,2 and 1) 
    Have a good day everyone x x 

We can do this