Really struggling today

• 60 replies
  • 32 subscribers

It’s been 32 days since my husband fell into his final sleep and it’s feels like each day is getting harder. Everyone keeps telling me how well I’m doing and how proud they are of me but I am heartbroken. It’s the little things that are gut wrenching - like Dave always used to alter the clocks when they went back. The pain is physical - even thought I am very lucky to have a supportive loving family (including four grandchildren - one who was born just three days after Dave passed away) I try to occupy myself with them and can keep a brave face on but the minute they leave it all just swamps me again. 
I feel angry that although we had 25 amazing years together we should have had at least another 25 to go - I am a widow at 52 and have lost my soulmate. Apart from our family we never needed anyone else as we were everything to each other. Everywhere that I go reminds me of him. 
We loved walking our fur baby but now those places are tinged with sadness as all I can do is remember walking hand in hand with him or sitting on a bench with a coffee just chatting. 
I need a hug but I need it from him. 
I know o should probably go back to work as being at home on my own isn’t helping but I can’t beat the thought of coming home and him not being here - he was furloughed throughout his illness so was always waiting for me to get home. 

I know everyone on here is suffering, hence we are here but I just needed to get it out as I don’t want to burden my family with my sadness 

• How lucky are we to have have loved someone and been lovedHeart

• Hi Paul, yes the exhaustion is unbelievable and at times I have felt the centre of my chest aching, the emotions in my self I at times have not recognised and I’ve felt like an alien to myself.

I give you strength to get through today sending hugs xx

• Iv just read your story your profile omg it's just unbearable how on earth are you functioning I'm in bits it's just not right x

• hello Jayne, some days I think im doing well and then bam im in pieces.  There are so many awful stories on here, makes me so sad to read.  We are all going through the same as we have lost our loved ones to this cruel disease.

For me, the sadness is that we had our retirement dreams in the sun and worked so hard to do that early.  The best I can do is take Robs ashes to Spain with me when I find a holiday home there.

I read the other day that one of the early symptoms of pancreatic cancer is indigestion.  That was the only symptom he had in the year before he was diagnosed, we never thought his indigestion was anything sinister.

Tomorrow I have my first counselling session which I hope will go well.

Take care and thank you for your message. 

• I think your story is equally sad Jayne, but this is what is so terrible about cancer. I never got time to ask Craig the things I wanted 6 weeks from diagnosis to his passing, it’s brutal for us all whatever the story xx

• I hope you find the counselling helpful tomorrow. Craig only had symptoms  for 2 weeks before his diagnosis but due to his age and being fit (sporty) his body had compensated until it was too late & by this time advanced xx

• you’re right, we all have such sadness in our lives.  Cancer is so cruel and doesn’t cate who it affects

• i always wonder why cancer is so prevalent now, it used to affect 1 in 3, now it’s 1 in 2.  I guess it’s down to our life styles and the food we eat or is it that medicine has advanced so much that things were not diagnosed as cancer in the past now are? 

• I agree. This was one of the things the celebrant said to us - that the only way for us to not be grieving Daves loss now would be for us to have never had him in our lives. 
    I’m trying to hold onto that thought