My Husband Died 5 weeks ago - HELP

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 34 replies
  • 28 subscribers

I am new here. As above my husband died 5 weeks ago today aged 70 in a hospice after only 4 weeks of diagnosis and very short symptoms.

His funeral, which I planned to the last letter, was an extremely emotional day - not only for me and family but for friends and aquaintances - there was not a dry eye in the house.

My eyes have not been dry since - I sob and sob for my darling husband. I want him back - the house is so empty without him and I am empty too. I am inconsolable. I sob and sob to have lost my darling man. We'd been together 24 years with  hardly a day apart. He was my world, my rock, my friend, my confidant, my absolute everything.

What''s the point in going on? Everything we planned has crashed down around me and all happened at 100 miles an hour. I am 64 and will be going back to working full time in the new year as it will get me out of the house which we have so lovingly created and which does hold so many memories but sometimes I am so absolutely overwhelmed.

My heart is smashed to pieces. What now I ask myself. Thank you for reading this. Any help, tips, guidance, or whatever will be greatly appreciated.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

You are right Wonderous! Here's your Golden Chufty Sunshine - richly deserved. xxx

• Well done Northernlass.    TBH I thought I would be pretty hopeless in these situations.    I’ve also had to sort out the pond weed in the pond (yucky job) and cleaned the filter!     

❤️

• Hi Sunshine 55, 

Maybe we are going to find that we are stronger than we think - hope so! To be fair, I probably was the one who organised most things anyway, but I do miss having hubby around to discuss things with and to make decisions together, even if I was the one who carried them out.

Still, I, like you, are just doing things a bit at a time, and so long as I keep moving forward, even if it's slowly, I think that's ok.

Hope your weekend goes well. X

• Hi northernlass

From diagnosis I seemed to be responsible for everything.    My husband hadn’t driven in over 18 months.   I’m going to start  decorating in January  - thought it would be a good project to keep me busy.    ❤️

• I remember my mum doing that after my dad died, she found it quite therapeutic. My husband was 25 yes older than me, so in recent years I had done a lot of the practical things, useful as it turns out. Do wish I knew what all the cables at the back of the telly are though! Think my daughter is probably ok with that stuff though.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So so sorry to hear of your loss!  It is such early days for you and understandably you will crying all the time.  My husband passed away 2 years ago on the 28 th December only 7 weeks after being diagnosed.  He thought he had years to live and I kept it from him till the last week, when he asked a doctor and by then he was too weak to care.  We were married nearly 48 years. I manage to block things a bit longer, but still have meltdowns that suddenly hit me.  I have joined a bereavement social group, which is helping me, but I have Arthritis and so a bit limited to what I can do. 

Love and hugs to all of you on here.   Yvonne xx

• FormerMember

What a great post Eleanor16.  I’m 7 months down the line but your post sums everything up exactly. 

Virtual hugs to you all out there, it’s just pants. 

Loraine

X

• FormerMember

Hi wonderous

I too feel like you and wished my husband had told me what to do.  I know at the end of the day he would want me and the children to be strong and carry on but I so wished we had had that conversation, stupidly, I feel as if I need his permission to carry on.  Of course this is not true, it’s just my jumbled up Jellified brain.  

Loraine

X

• Hi Lorraine,

I know what you mean about feeling you need permission to carry on. My husband died 7 weeks ago and sometimes when I feel as though I'm making a bit of progress I wonder whether he would have been sad that I am managing to get on a bit. I know in my heart that he would want me to crack on, but the thought comes into my mind at times. Silly really, I'm sure!

P.s. also identify with 'jellified brain' ! xx

• FormerMember

Hi  Loraine. 

Yes that one sentence we were craving but never had the chance to have  will haunt us for a long time but as we travel thru this process and our lives start to build up some sort of meaning I think it will start to take more of a back seat I hope . I get so upset wen I put myself in Nickys position and try to imagine wot woz going thru her mind seaing all our family around her and the grandchildren and wot she woz never going sea as they grew up  , it makes feel sick inside . She woz loved by absolutely everyone but I had the monopoly on it he he ! 

I'm back in numb mode at the mo with very few emotions , well I woz until about 20 min ago wen a song on the tele sent me into a breakdown and now writing this haz got the tears going again . I'm like a slug on a keyboard  very slow and leaving snottery trails everywhere. 

I needed permission for everything I woz right under the thumb  Ha ha ! Only joking  we had the best relationship ever  but that's just me ...

BIGG  SNUGGS 

Wonderous  x.