diagnosis of melanoma

• Irby with Myeloma

I'm 78 and at the beginning of 2020 my left leg began to increasingly get more painful and in August my thigh bone fractured, and I had an operation and was fitted with an IM Nailing.

Whilst in hospital I had numerous Blood tests, X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans which showed I had Cancer.  In October 2020, a Pet scan showed cancer had spread, and then I had several biopsies which eventually by December 2020, proved conclusive…

• Large Diffuse B Cell Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma

Hi, I have just completed 6 cycles of r chop which was gruelling but I have got through it with one infection and I’m up and about. Eating well, getting lots of exercise and feeling well. I do get indigestion following on my treatment for a few weeks and take omeprazole to ease it and a lot of peppermint tea.

My half way scan showed the treatment was effectively treating my lymphoma but also showed a slight thickening…

• It's like seeing the light of the train coming down the track yet being too stupid to get off the line

I am fair skinned and have always liked the sun, in fact, my skin looked so much better with a light tan.  I've always had moles and kept a check on them but there was one on my shoulder that I saw every day.  I didn't notice it changing much.... until I did.  

Had it removed three weeks ago and it was a melanoma, just a 1b level.  I have been offered a sentinel lymph node biopsy with wide local excision.  Apparently…

• Why using olive oil while sunbathing was a bad idea in the '80s.

Yep. We did it. Just couldn't get enough sun. No warnings back then, just lots of sun oil and holidays in the Med stretched out on sunbeds by the pool. For hours.

And now the mole which has been sitting quietly, if rather large, on my shoulder for years just decided to wake up. 

So here I am just a week away from having a wide area excision (taking more away from the original mole biopsy) and biopsy of my lymph nodes…

• Another melanoma after 13 years

Diagnosed purely by fate ,the death of my sister's husband 13 years ago , triggered panic and sadness, he died from a melanoma . It was shocking . 

Melanoma was his fate .. concern for my own mortality, crept in ,as the information and talk about melanoma , was enlightening and alarming .

Scanning ,in secret as not to upset my sister ,J checked my fair ,sun affected skin. 

I looked for certain warning signs in moles…