Why using olive oil while sunbathing was a bad idea in the '80s.

1 minute read time.

Yep. We did it. Just couldn't get enough sun. No warnings back then, just lots of sun oil and holidays in the Med stretched out on sunbeds by the pool. For hours.

And now the mole which has been sitting quietly, if rather large, on my shoulder for years just decided to wake up. 

So here I am just a week away from having a wide area excision (taking more away from the original mole biopsy) and biopsy of my lymph nodes PLUS a possible skin graft!  Bizarrely on the very day that my old school friend and sunbathing buddy is due to come down for a girls weekend.  

I haven't shared my 'news' with anyone other than my partner and a work friend who underwent similar procedures and is just out of her 5 year survival window.  And you guys.  Oh and my kittens who were totally unimpressed and celebrated by crapping under my desk, charming.

But how do you start a conversation like that? Especially when it could all be OK and no spread?  I wanted to wait until I got the results but that's becoming a challenge.  I don't want to worry my parents or kids until they need to know.  But I'm thinking I need to start sharing even though I am determined not to have melanoma rule my whole life.  I will let you know how that goes....

Anonymous