It's like seeing the light of the train coming down the track yet being too stupid to get off the line

Less than one minute read time.

I am fair skinned and have always liked the sun, in fact, my skin looked so much better with a light tan.  I've always had moles and kept a check on them but there was one on my shoulder that I saw every day.  I didn't notice it changing much.... until I did.  

Had it removed three weeks ago and it was a melanoma, just a 1b level.  I have been offered a sentinel lymph node biopsy with wide local excision.  Apparently it will be a while before this can go ahead, but I have to make the decision if I want it...  I don't feel like I know if I want it or not, I'm not qualified to make these decisions.  The possible side effects of the operation are quite scary, but it's quite scary not knowing if it might have spread as well....

Anonymous
  • OrinocoFlow  I advise you to go ahead. My excision showed clear margins but being a vet I know how fickle melanoma tumours can be and I unhesitatingly opted for margins and slnb. They could not find sentinel lymph nodes but by that time another lump and grown under the skin close by and sure enough, biopsy of that proved positive for melanoma. Later, the skin margin tissue also came back positive for wider spread.  Now the cancer has already gone beyond a surgical solution and I await an immunotherapy plan. So I strongly advise you to go ahead and hopefully get confirmation you are safe. I had no side effects from the margin surgery  or the scintigraphy. Don't rely on just the first excision having been successful - Good luck.

• I know I didn't have to make this decision, however if there is even a small chance it could save your life, then its got to be worth doing. My excision showed slight signs of regression, which means my body was already fighting some of it. I would recommend you get it done x