15 years - my story with GIST and Hodgkins

• It’s like being on a merry go round but without the lovely coloured horses

FormerMember
    FormerMember

A chemotherapy cycle is like a merry go round in my eyes, I am stuck on this one for what should be 21 days however given my first cycle didn’t go quite to plan at the moment it is 14 days and at the end of that time I get to hop off the ride for a week and then begin the whole thing all over again on a continuous loop for as long as the drug keeps working.

Don’t get me wrong I am extremely lucky to have a drug available…
  • I have to give it a go

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well after what has been a tremendous amount of time without treatment and the tumours staying reasonably stable, I was told a fortnight ago that the tumours, two in particular were on the move again and had grown quite considerably in size from the last scan that I had. I would of understood the news a little better had I not (wrongly) thought that actually I was doing ok (for me that is). So came the usual upset, then…

• Just ‘Be’ - but do it your way.

FormerMember
    FormerMember

After reaching a tipping point after many many years of coping in my own way with this nasty clingon that is cancer, I realised I needed help. I felt lost and just couldn’t see a way through how I was feeling. I went to counselling at my local Macmillan Centre and it has been such a positive experience for me, although I will also admit that it was so much harder and revealing than I had anticipated. Over the weeks I…

• Listening to the humdrum of the hospital

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Well I’ve not been here for a while - I haven’t felt well for a couple of days, nothing specific but all I could think about was the extreme tiredness. Well today the ambulance got called, reluctantly on my part but necessary (my husband is nearly always right when it comes to my medical care) - I was so worried something was wrong with my heart, I had chest pains, no breath, dizzy and am awful sense of foreboding.…

• You are really testing me

FormerMember
    FormerMember

As I have said in previous blogs I have been at this game a long while and had to go through some horrid procedures as we all have but always in the back of my mind there has been this thought that all those nasty bits are to keep this cancer under control and to give me time. That I can cope with, they are necessary to keep me alive as long as possible. What is really testing me is the ridiculously silly problems that…