WHEN I'M 64...

• OPERATION OVER

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I had my operation yesterday - cystectomy, hysterectomy and some bits and bobs done. I'm doing well, the doctor is pleased. The operation only took three hours and I didn't need to go to intensive care because the doctor said I'm very fit apart from the cancer. I look better than I expected too. I got up for two hours today. I was on oxygen and a drip til a bit earlier when they were taken out. Dean, my partner, came…

• CYSTECTOMY OPERATION TOMORROW

FormerMember
    FormerMember

It's my cystectomy operation tomorrow. I feel relaxed and in a strange way excited. Life will be different afterwards. I feel like I'm going on a trip, an adventure. I bought a few more clothes today for knocking about in when I come home. I'm spending the next couple of hours lazing on the new bed watching TV. I've said my prayers so I guess I'm in God's hands now. May he grant my surgery team skill.…

• TWO DAYS TO THE OP

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Two days to go til my operation on Saturday. I got my Macmillan grant yesterday so I will be able to get new clothes with elasticated waist etc. I got two new tops that are slightly longer than usual to cover stoma area when wearing jeans. I bought two pairs of stretch jeggings which are great, loose on the waist.  I've been practicing with the pretend stoma and bags and am amazed how totally unnoticeable it is, even with…

• NEW BED HERE AND OPERATION DATE CONFIRMED

FormerMember
    FormerMember

My new bed is here and assembled. It is so great. It's about fifteen years since I last had a bed but I got used to it in minutes. It's just in time. My operation is on 7th Oct, this Saturday in fact. This was confirmed yesterday. I have to start practicing with my false stoma, attaching the bag etc. I have told my sons how much I love them and my granddaughters, just in case the operation goes wrong. I don't expect it…

• I'M GETTING MY FIRST BED IN YEARS

FormerMember
    FormerMember

My bed is arriving on Wednesday. It will be strange. I haven't had a bed for years. In fact I'm trying to remember when I last had one. I suffered for many years from depression, anxiety and PTSD which resulted in a very unstable life. On the cheaper end of private accommodation, I had to move often. I never had the money for a bed. I sleep on the floor on a thin memory foam mattress at the moment. I didn't mind because…