WHEN I'M 64...

• FIRST POST-OP BATH

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Today I had my first bath since the operation, two weeks ago. Apart from a shower at the hospital I've been strip-washing. I've been scared to get in the bath. Today I braved it and it was no problem at all. In fact the whole thing has been much easier than I could possibly have hoped. I'm not out of the woods yet, I have to see what the histology from the op comes back with. I'm hoping for an all clear but if not I'll…

• STENTS CAME OUT ON THEIR OWN

FormerMember
    FormerMember

If you ever need an absorbent pad I can recommend Tena Lady folded in three. It's worked better than anything from the nurse. I slept right through with no pad leakage even though it was full. Amazing! My stents came out on their own earlier when I changed my bag. I have hospital tomorrow to have the staples out and meet with the nurses. We will be ordering my bags and stuff and I hope to get this leak sorted. Bowels…

• POOPING FOR ENGLAND

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I have been pooping for England overnight! Exactly a week after the op and bowels moving with gusto. The wound on my side is still leaking copious amounts of plasma. The District Nurse came again yesterday and changed my dressing. She used a large absorbent one but it still filled up by about nine pm. She had left me a couple of ordinary dressings so I padded one out and that lasted til around four am. She's ringing some…

• BIT OF A SCARE

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I came home on Thursday. Everything has been going really well. Well, until last night - that was a bit of a scare. One of the wounds from my surgery last Saturday leaked like a tap late yesterday afternoon! I felt a warm gush at my right side. I looked down and there was a wet patch. I grabbed my kit and went to the bathroom. I thought my urostomy bag had leaked. I removed and replaced the bag. It was the first time I…

• FOUR DAYS AFTER OPERATION AND I'M GOING HOME

FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'm going home today. Only four days. Doc thinks my recovery so far is amazing. I have to say that improving my diet and getting lots of exercise by walking 3-5 miles a day was worth it. My surgeon said it's amazing how fit I am considering. Even the nurse said my veins were the best ones she's seen all week. I have to come back in a week or so to have the staples and stents out. I changed my bag today, had a shower and…