My Cancer diary

• Day 43

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 22/4/13

Speech and language saw me today for the first time, not much help really, I've had enough of "you're doing so well on your own" and to be honest it feels a bit like I'm the only one that's trying here.

Once again, I have to be patient, let things heal and then the work can start. I guess this is fair enough, but I really want to get back to my old self now not in six…

• Day 42

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 21/4/13

My recovery from that massive operation continues, I find I can cope with the purée food better and generally I am feeling more like my old self.

Speech is a worry, I slur and slurp my way through speech, often having to repeat myself. Everyone says my speech is coming along well, but as usual that's not enough for me. In my head I understand that the cancer has taken my old voice,…

• Day 41

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 21/4/13

Where to start? Perhaps a summary of events today;
    Kids came to visit
    Feeding tube "lost" by consultant
    Clips out
    Stitches out
    All but 1 dressing removed
    Managed to escape (with consultants blessing) outside of hospital for an hour!

Woah, I mean, Woah what's been the highlight? Has to be the kids, first time they visited is still had drains and feeding tube and looked rather like Frankenstein…

• Day 40

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 19/4/13

It has impressed me how much difference a good nights sleep can make. I'd not really noticed that my sleep was bad, but until last night I think. I must have only been sleeping for 50% of the night.

A certain despondence had settled on me yesterday, to be honest, I had found eating much more difficult than I had expected. Not sure what my expectations were, but obviously they were higher…

• Day 39

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 18/4/13

After some great improvements today has been less about making strides and more about small steps. I have found this incredibly annoying and frustrating.

My task for the day was to start a "soft" diet, having managed with liquids fairly well yesterday today I was needed to try some soft foods. Well I tried but didn't do as well as I would have liked, my major problem is working out where…