My Cancer diary

• Day 38

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 17/4/13

Its funny, recovering in hospital, as you do, what brings the most pleasures. As my surgical recovery progresses well then I find more of my little dignities coming back. This is a very nice feeling. 

I don't think that I really knew how important my independence was to me until I lost most of it. My aches and pains diminish so I don't take much pain relief now - a really nice break from…

• Day 37

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 16/4/13

Its been a slow, contemplative day today. It has shuffled along rather than raced. Bit like me perhaps.

God but waiting is SLOW. I have to wait for everything, my surgery has made much movement delicate processes of balancing achievements against requirements. A twist just so brings my kindle into view but pain radiates across my neck and shoulders and I have to get up, collect the damned…

• Day 36

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally Published 15/4/13

I don't really know how to start this one, today has been another filled with visits from family and friends which make the long and boring routine survivable.

What's hardest is that I can't do much, tubes and bottles and machines being plumbed in. I'm down a drain today, which was not painful (which I had feared). I mean the nurses here are just wonderful, they check on me so often…

• Day 35

FormerMember
    FormerMember

Originally published 14/4/13

Today has been a great day, after nearly a week since I am looking forward at life again. It has been hard working band dealing with things after having a virtually instant diagnosis from my consultant to the biopsy and scans and the final scale of the cancer being revealed to be probably not just in my tongue but also in the lymph nodes. 

I had fully twenty hours of surgery and the anaesthetic…