Community News

These news items are generated and published by Macmillan's Online Community Team. In this section you’ll find some posts written by the Online Community team in partnership with our Cancer Information Development team. We also feature personal stories from our members.

Browse by topics

Community updates     Cancer Awareness     Tips, ideas and recipes       

Cancer stories     Supporting someone with cancer    Art, photography and creative writing

Latest Posts

• Dining with an Ostomate - Butternut squash and sage risotto

FormerMember
    FormerMember

"Dining with an ostomate" written over a picture of a chopped butternut squash on a marble counter

Debbie, our resident ‘chef to the Ostomates’, is back this month with another tasty and nutritious recipe she’s been making following an ileostomy earlier this year. This week’s recipe is a tasty looking butternut squash and sage risotto.

“Squash is easily digested from early on as an Ostomate, and makes a nice change from carrot or parsnip!”

Debbie

The health benefits of butternut…

• "...reading the message has lifted mine and my grandad's hopes." - Bladder Cancer Awareness Month

FormerMember
    FormerMember

"Bladder cancer awareness month" written over a blue background and a white flower.

Off the back of rily’s Bladder Cancer Awareness Month piece last Monday, I thought I’d also throw a spotlight recognising the cancer by highlighting a few positive, helpful and interesting bits and pieces from our Bladder cancer group, as well as a little feedback received for the group.

If you’re affected by bladder cancer, go ahead and share your tips of thoughts with us using the comments section below…

• "Everything you say describes how I'm feeling..." - Skin Cancer Awareness Month

FormerMember
    FormerMember

"Skin cancer awareness month" over a picture of the sea with a sunset in the background

May marks Skin Cancer Awareness Month, so to recognise this I thought I’d put the spotlight on our Skin cancer and Melanoma groups, and highlight a few really positive, helpful and interesting discussions that have been going on in the groups.

I’ve also put together a few ‘top tips’ that members of these groups have been sharing – but if you’re affected by skin cancer, go ahead and share your tips of thoughts…